• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

slack time in a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slack time in a contract

Hello peeps

Just wondering if people have come across this, and how you dealt with it. mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again. Its a short term gig and every week counts funds wise.

Do you slow the pace down and make yourself busy, or take the time off?

cheers

its a good time to catch up on documentation

or take any days off if the weather looks good
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Do you not have internet access on your desktop I take it?
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ft101 View Post
        mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again.
        Sounds very familiar - I'd say you were working where I am now, except I'm the only contractor they've got left so I guess not

I say stick with if it's short term and funds are needed. There must be something to do..analysis, design, documentation etc...there always is for me when this happens and it's happened often over the past 18 months. If the client decides you're not needed then they've made the decision for you to take a break.
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

This is Golden Time.

For starters make sure you start late, finish early, and have a long lunch.

Then read through a technical book that's vaguely connected to some part of the project or other. Looks like you're doing work, which you are, but you can be learning valuable new skills for your next contract
          Cats are evil.

Comment

what do you think most users on this forum do?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It's August. Does that help?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                what do you think most users on this forum do?
                WHS

particularly tpd

though a warning - it will become addictive! Then you will post here even when you have lts to do......

Comment

Hello peeps

Just wondering if people have come across this, and how you dealt with it. mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again. Its a short term gig and every week counts funds wise.

cheers
                  It may not be best financialy, but...
                  Write an email explaining that there is a delay beyond your control and you are therefore taking some time away from the project. Point out that you are saving ClientCo some money by doing so.
                  This should help if ever IR35 comes calling.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    It may not be best financialy, but...
                    Write an email explaining that there is a delay beyond your control and you are therefore taking some time away from the project. Point out that you are saving ClientCo some money by doing so.
                    This should help if ever IR35 comes calling.
                    The danger there is they realise whilst you are away for a few weeks/months that you don't actually add any value to the project.

Good time to start an online business (plan b).

Comment

Working...
                    X