• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting without contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting without contract

I'm starting a new 3-6 month contract next week, but I still don't have the actual contract. I'm not worried about the client as I've filled in passcard forms, received reporting instructions, confirmed they're expecting me etc. The agency, however, claims that they're waiting for a purchase order sign off before they raise the contract, and it probably won't be sent out till Friday.

As I say, I'm confident that the job is legit, and it's for a big client, but would I be mad to start work without seeing the agency contract first? Has anyone got into problems by doing that?

Most of my roles are phone interview (as I am out of the country) so I always turn up on the first day without a contract. Never had a problem yet
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

As I say, I'm confident that the job is legit, and it's for a big client, but would I be mad to start work without seeing the agency contract first?
      Sounds mad to me. AFAIK by starting you are implicitly accepting the agencies contract, leaving them free to put anything they like in there.

Comment

Ah, good old Contractor UK forums. Two replies, totally contradicting each other.

Anyone actually got into trouble with a late contract including some insane clause or other?

Comment

I've started plenty of gigs without a contract. I'd ask for a draft copy of the likely contract from the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Sounds mad to me. AFAIK by starting you are implicitly accepting the agencies contract, leaving them free to put anything they like in there.
            whs - at lease ask for a copy of their standard contract so you can review the T&C you are going to sign up to...
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              I am not a complete fool, I did have an email copy of the contract. But I don't usually stay very long, my role is to deliver and walk away when it done (Application Intergration). New role delivering Methology and Framework, usually the same short term roles.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                I am not a complete fool, I did have an email copy of the contract. But I don't usually stay very long, my role is to deliver and walk away when it done (Application Intergration). New role delivering Methology and Framework, usually the same short term roles.
                AP what sort of Application Integration work do you do? Is it the technical side or BA/PM work?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  AP what sort of Application Integration work do you do? Is it the technical side or BA/PM work?
                  I did work in telecoms, technical side.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Not unusual for me to start a gig without the contract in hand either, but like the others I always get a draft contract with T's & C's and discuss anything I'm not happy with.

Comment

Working...
                    X