• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices 10.5% cheaper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices 10.5% cheaper

Seriously... what’s not to like???

Unless you're selling up to move abroad I can't see how it can be a bad thing... for most people anyway.

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Seriously... what’s not to like???

I'll tell you No. 1 what's not to like.

You buy a house at the peak (say £500K) on a 100% mortgage.

"Who cares, if it drops to say £300K" you say.

Your mortgage is coming to an end or is charging 2% more than the best deals. You really have to get a new mortgage.

You seek to remortgage and the new mortgage company asks for a valuation. It comes out at £300K in current market.

The new mortgage is 75% loan to value max.

This means you owe £500K and the most a lender will lend you is £225K. You need to find £275K cash to pay the lender.

You are fooked and cannot refinance.

If you sell up you lose £200K of real money.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Your mortgage is coming to an end or is charging 2% more than the best deals. You really have to get a new mortgage.

You seek to remortgage and the new mortgage company asks for a valuation. It comes out at £300K in current market.

This means you owe £500K and the most a lender will lend you is £225K. You need to find £275K cash to pay the lender.

HTH
      there are alot of children masquerading as adults in this grown up world of ours. Most of them probably watched "Location, Location.." with that fat useless idiot Kirsty PoshBird, who kept telling everyone "Dont worry just borrow more and buy a bigger house, prices will never come down, and knock that wall down while you're at it"
      Now they have massive loans on rapidly decreasing equity, and are, as you succinctly put it "fooked"
      I myself, however, foresaw all this years ago and will welcome either plummeting or rising prices.

Comment

HTH
        Just take £275K out of your bank account and pay the lender.

What's the problem?

Comment

You guys have mortgages...?????? I thought that was only something permies did or back in the 70s.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

HTH
            But I'm looking to trade up so...

Just what the market needs.

People weren't swinging from the chandeliers’ when prices were going up by 3-4% every month yet they're gloomy about a drop of 10% over 12??? Get some perspective people ffs.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Crikey 10% discount, it must be a cracking time to buy.....

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                But I'm looking to trade up so...

Just what the market needs.

People weren't swinging from the chandeliers’ when prices were going up by 3-4% every month yet they're gloomy about a drop of 10% over 12??? Get some perspective people ffs.
                Surely your house will sell at a "loss", thus negating the reduction in the house you buy?

Comment

UK banks

most UK are almost bankrupt anyway (legacy of flawed Blairites policies), Barclays, RBS (Sir Goodwin left), B&B (who could not raise a penny from stockholders), so mortgage applications are dropping like stones.

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
                    most UK are almost bankrupt anyway (legacy of flawed Blairites policies), Barclays, RBS (Sir Goodwin left), B&B (who could not raise a penny from stockholders), so mortgage applications are dropping like stones.
                    Time to dust down the canoe methinks.

Comment

Working...
                    X