• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get that top contract rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get that top contract rate

1. Do your homework

Consult job ads, recruiters, and colleagues to find out the pay range for your contract. Then work out the skills you need to claim the top 10 per cent of that pay range.

2. State your objectives clearly

When you ask for a meeting, don’t talk vaguely about "prospects" - be clear that you want to talk about your contribution to the clients organisation and that you’re asking for a rate rise.

3. Be clear about what you want

Are you really after a rate rise, or would your life be improved by something else, such as flexible working, working from home, etc? Know exactly what you are asking for.

4. Create the right impression

Make sure you look, act and sound like a person already performing like a contractor paying the kind of rate you want. Don’t try to negotiate a pay rise in an old suit.

5. Make your pitch

Your opening needs to be about your contribution, and not about money. Talk about what you have added to the role and how you have made a difference.

6. Bid, don’t complain

Clent managers and agents get defensive when it comes to pay issues. No matter how carefully you make your case, what they will hear is "I’m unhappy". Be careful to ensure that you communicate how much you enjoy the work, particularly those parts where you have extended your role to a wider remit.

7. Don’t talk about your bottom line

Don't be tempted to talk about what you "need" financially, or about your financial commitments or pressures. Talk about the value you add to the business.

8. Let your boss shoot first

Keep your cards close to your chest. Try to find out what your client is prepared to offer before you say what you would like. Even if your client asks "What did you have in mind?" it’s worth at least one attempt to find out what might be possible.

9. Negotiate like a pro

Don’t believe that the first offer, particularly if it’s made quickly, is the last word. Relate your proposed total cost in monthly terms to the annual bottom line contribution of the company, and be aware of how much it will cost to replace you.

10. Assert yourself

Stand up for yourself. Demonstrate exactly the same robustness and negotiation skills your client expects you to use in the job.

Good luck and be brave.

Learn .net from a book you got from Amazon.

HTH

Comment

Money Central TimesOnline yesterday

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...ps-to-get.html

"Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Git

Comment

Which website did you cut and paste that from DP?

Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            7. Don’t talk about your bottom
            *fnarff*
            Bored.

Comment

DP, you truly are a fraud ... a walter mitty character

Comment

Or...

Say 'these are my new rates for Q3-Q4 2008', and leave it at that.

This only works if you're about the only person with detailed knowledge of their bespoke systems, and you're happily prepared to walk. Two consecutive rate rises of 33% are my testament to this. The latest confirmed today.

It isn't my problem if they haven't trained anyone else to use these systems. And their problem if I choose not to renew.

I could probably have asked for more than 33% this time, but I'm happy with my rate.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
                  DP, you truly are a fraud ... a walter mitty character
                  Credit where credit's due - he changed "job" to "contract" throughout. With such an ability to use search-and-replace, I predict a bright career providing secretarial services. Probably to Jeffrey Archer.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    1. Do your homework

Consult job ads, recruiters, and colleagues to find out the pay range for your contract. Then work out the skills you need to claim the top 10 per cent of that pay range.

2. State your objectives clearly

When you ask for a meeting, don’t talk vaguely about "prospects" - be clear that you want to talk about your contribution to the clients organisation and that you’re asking for a rate rise.

3. Be clear about what you want

Are you really after a rate rise, or would your life be improved by something else, such as flexible working, working from home, etc? Know exactly what you are asking for.

4. Create the right impression

Make sure you look, act and sound like a person already performing like a contractor paying the kind of rate you want. Don’t try to negotiate a pay rise in an old suit.

5. Make your pitch

Your opening needs to be about your contribution, and not about money. Talk about what you have added to the role and how you have made a difference.

6. Bid, don’t complain

Clent managers and agents get defensive when it comes to pay issues. No matter how carefully you make your case, what they will hear is "I’m unhappy". Be careful to ensure that you communicate how much you enjoy the work, particularly those parts where you have extended your role to a wider remit.

7. Don’t talk about your bottom line

Don't be tempted to talk about what you "need" financially, or about your financial commitments or pressures. Talk about the value you add to the business.

8. Let your boss shoot first

Keep your cards close to your chest. Try to find out what your client is prepared to offer before you say what you would like. Even if your client asks "What did you have in mind?" it’s worth at least one attempt to find out what might be possible.

9. Negotiate like a pro

Don’t believe that the first offer, particularly if it’s made quickly, is the last word. Relate your proposed total cost in monthly terms to the annual bottom line contribution of the company, and be aware of how much it will cost to replace you.

10. Assert yourself

Stand up for yourself. Demonstrate exactly the same robustness and negotiation skills your client expects you to use in the job.

Good luck and be brave.

Blimey! Never thought of that! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X