• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

paying a salary while not trading

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying a salary while not trading

If I take 12 months off say to pursue plan B, but continue to pay myself a small salary from ltdco say £6-10k ish out of retained earnings while it's not trading ie I'm not raising invoices - is that all above board with Hector?

Maybe a dumb question but I've seen different replies on old threads here!

You are trading, you're just not billing.

Yes you can pay yourself from your Ltd. Anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Collect £350k in your business account then just take the rest of your life off and pay yourself £15k a year out the business. That's one of my (semi)retirement options/theories... (obviously put the money into a well paying interest account too).
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I am. Though that brings up an interesting point I'll post in a new thread.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Related question:

If the ammount of PAYE salary that you have already paid yourself during this accounting year is over 10 K which is roughly 1 year salary on the minimum national rate , does it make sense to keep paying PAYE ? Or the HMRC should be satisfied ( i know ) that you paid enough PAYE and all further earnings should be taken as dividends ?

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            Collect £350k in your business account then just take the rest of your life off and pay yourself £15k a year out the business. That's one of my (semi)retirement options/theories... (obviously put the money into a well paying interest account too).
            I was planning on doing something similar until my accountant advised against it. He reckons that HMRC might take a dim view of a small company accumulating hundreds of thousands of pounds in their bank account and drip-feeding it down to the shareholders/employees over a long period of time.

Comment

If you're not trading, just shut the company down and extract your capital and take entrepreneurs relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
                Related question:

If the ammount of PAYE salary that you have already paid yourself during this accounting year is over 10 K which is roughly 1 year salary on the minimum national rate , does it make sense to keep paying PAYE ? Or the HMRC should be satisfied ( i know ) that you paid enough PAYE and all further earnings should be taken as dividends ?
                From a simple tax/ni point of view it makes no sense to pay yourself above 5035 (updated recently though). At this level you still get your full years credit for pension and don't actually pay any NI at all. This won't give you any SSP (serps) credits though.

This does not meet minimum wage requirements - but if you are a director without a service contract then this doesn't matter (DTI view).

Obviously you need to consider your IR35 position.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Obviously you need to consider your IR35 position.
                  Not an issue if there is no contract being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                    Not an issue if there is no contract being worked on.
                    If one is not actively working for 2 years and is claiming a salary / dividends, won't they get caught out by IR35? Sorry, am displaying my ignorance here.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X