• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web design books recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web design books recommendations

Ok, this is aimed Web-Spod NickFitz, when he surfaces.

I'm from a winforms background and I'm due to start an ASP.Net gig soon so I'd like to get a bit more clued up on webby best practices (as aside from ASP syntax which I'm ok with).

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Ok, this is aimed Web-Spod NickFitz, when he surfaces.

I'm from a winforms background and I'm due to start an ASP.Net gig soon so I'd like to get a bit more clued up on webby best practices (as aside from ASP syntax which I'm ok with).
    Christ on a bike.

The world of webbiness (ASP.NET) is nothing like winforms. Chalk and cheese.

Stateless, security implications, Search Engine Optimisation (assuming it's an Internet site), client scripting, cookies, viewstate, postbacks, the list goes on..and on.

What sort of client puts someone without a solid web background on an ASP.NET project?

Comment

Yeah, relax man - I'm ok with that stuff, just not designed the visual side before

Comment

Yeah, relax man - I'm ok with that stuff, just not designed the visual side before
        Pheww!

I've been pacing up and down the office worrying.

TBH I believe the look n feel,XHTML layout and CSS side really needs an arty-farty type to get it right.

Comment

All you really need is this: web pages that suck

It'll tell you all you need to know....

The book's good too...
          Last edited by cojak; 29 August 2008, 08:48.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

True, but Fitz's snippets regarding accessibility and browser compatibility from the most basic upwards (rather than t'other way around) sound like common sense to me, and I'd like to find out more.

Comment

That website ain't particularly good though is it? Seems a bit cluttered to me.

Comment

Ditto. That webtulipe sucks.
                Anyone else seen the n-word on there? Has someone hacked it
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

True, but Fitz's snippets regarding accessibility and browser compatibility from the most basic upwards (rather than t'other way around) sound like common sense to me, and I'd like to find out more.
                  If you are concerned about these things it's worth reading this about why ASP.NET is not a great out-of-the box tool for the end user, search engines and why it was designed more for developer ease of use that enabling the broadest web audience.

http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/198731.aspx

The problem with ASP.NET is the lack of control on the rendered content, the total reliance on JS for postbacks, vile controls like the datagrid and their viewstate bloat, revolting implementation of AJAX, etc.

The .NET framework is good, but the big bad ASP.NET controls ruin it for serious scalable secure cross-browser accessible websites.

Comment

Ah - that's the point of it. The author is getting you to consider bad design from the outset "My method is to show you bad design techniques so you'll realize what they are and not use them."

Read the FAQ "Why does your site suck?"

"...and I like for the look of the site to suck in a mediocre rather than blazingly bad way because most web sites suck in a mediocre way."

Last edited by cojak; 29 August 2008, 09:57.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X