• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor acting like permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractor acting like permie

I'm one of 5 contactors in a 7 person team. Client is at a stage where they need weekend support for the next 10 or so weekends. I've said that Myco can provide this as a billable service if required. TBH, one of the reasons I went contracting was to get away from b0llox like this. Inevitably one of the permies gets lumped with a load of this type of work, but now one of the other contractors is volunteering himself to do this free of charge. Not only do I think that this is a terrible precedent to be setting, it makes me look like a selfish twunt when I refuse to "muck in for the team".

I'm inclined to just say stuff it, that's the deal, like it or lump it. The client wouldn't pay me for work not done, so why should I work for what I know I won't be billing for? Or should I lump it for the sake of "good client relations"? I've tried subtly hinting to the other contractor that he should stand firm, but he isn't/won't.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I'm one of 5 contactors in a 7 person team. Client is at a stage where they need weekend support for the next 10 or so weekends. I've said that Myco can provide this as a billable service if required. TBH, one of the reasons I went contracting was to get away from b0llox like this. Inevitably one of the permies gets lumped with a load of this type of work, but now one of the other contractors is volunteering himself to do this free of charge. Not only do I think that this is a terrible precedent to be setting, it makes me look like a selfish twunt when I refuse to "muck in for the team".

I'm inclined to just say stuff it, that's the deal, like it or lump it. The client wouldn't pay me for work not done, so why should I work for what I know I won't be billing for? Or should I lump it for the sake of "good client relations"? I've tried subtly hinting to the other contractor that he should stand firm, but he isn't/won't.
    Name and shame - we have to stamp this out quickly or it might spread. I hear waterboarding is an effective, non-visible way to persuade him ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

waterboarding?
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

waterboarding?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

It's like torture, cept it's not - more enhanced interrogation. Honest guv.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Ah. thanks. Any, more constructive, advice?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If its just one of the 5 contractors working for free, he'll probably just look like a brown-nosing *****. (does he read cuk? )

What are the other 3 contractors thinking?

I would take a honest look at the situation. Is not providing weekend cover for free likely to reduce the chance of renewal (assuming you want it). If not, dont worry about it. An honest and upfront charging policy is fair all round. You work, they pay.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I have constructive advice.

What's it got to do with you what this other contractor does? He's not representing your company is he? If you offer this service as a billable item then that's what you do. What others do is up to them.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Ah. thanks. Any, more constructive, advice?
                take him around the bike sheds after work and give him a good kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

What's it got to do with you what this other contractor does? He's not representing your company is he? If you offer this service as a billable item then that's what you do. What others do is up to them.
                  On a similar viewpoint, imagine you are company A and he is company B, working together on a big project, but competitors.

He is offering a free service to the client (as a loss leader) to ensure a longer contract in the long run. That's how he sees it.

Either you are willing to work for free on the same basis or not. If not, professionally tell the client that your companies time is chargeable. They pay you work at the weekend, they don't pay, you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    If its just one of the 5 contractors working for free, he'll probably just look like a brown-nosing *****. (does he read cuk? )

What are the other 3 contractors thinking?

I would take a honest look at the situation. Is not providing weekend cover for free likely to reduce the chance of renewal (assuming you want it). If not, dont worry about it. An honest and upfront charging policy is fair all round. You work, they pay.
                    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

Thanks - RH - Pickle's point about the renewal is the consideration - if I don't do it, will it make me look like "not a reliable resource" or whatever and leave me scuppered around renewal time. I appreciate your point RH, but sometimes things aren't quite so cut and dried.

Personally I think its bulldish and am currently steadfastly refusing to work without billing for it (for the moment).

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X