• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash machines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash machines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7584258.stm

The thieves claim to have comprehensive details of US credit and debit cards passed to them from an American gang who tapped phone lines between cash machines and banks.
    Are they on about ATM's? Surely that's encrypted traffic.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

ID cards are the answer....
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      ID cards are the answer....
      For that they're not.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        For that they're not.
        ATM's are everywhere in the US, in most stores etc. When I lived there a gang set up an ATM company, hired out 100's to various shops and collected details for months then cleaned everyone out - funnily enough my local Deli was one of the ones affected, but guess we'd cancelled those cards before they got round to doing us.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Surely the transaction is encrypted though or could someone just tap in and sniff their traffic?

Comment

An IP-ATM is connected to the payment processor using a TCP/IP connection. However, while the PIN number is triple-DES encrypted, the messages themselves are not. In January 2008, an analysis of ATM network traffic by Network Box found that only the PIN number was encrypted and that a large portion of the traffic travelled in plain text, leaving card numbers, card expiry dates, transaction amounts and account balances clearly readable. Therefore, a hacker needs only to access some part of the IP network between the IP-ATM and the payment processor to be privy to the aforementioned details.
            linky
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Flucking bell

Comment

Even better

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...eves-broke-pin

What's most troubling is that, apparently, no one knows how the thieves managed to crack Citibank's ATM network, break into a server at a third-party transactions processor, and steal not only account numbers but also the unencrypted PIN codes that enabled them to successfully withdraw funds. If anyone knows how they did it, they're not saying publicly.
                I wonder if they all use their username as their password?

Comment

Pins are just 4 digits - encrypting just them is crazy because it is easy to check less than 10k combinations using plain text attack.

Comment

Remember this?

I never use the non-bank owned ATM's. Not for security mind you, because I'm too tight to pay £1.99 to withdraw £20...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X