• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working this weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working this weekend

Working this weekend for free on the client site

one of the other "consultants" is a right obstructive *****, only in 9-5 and has really got on everyones nerves with his "i'm better than thou" attitude with the permies

client has emailed me and asked me to "volunteer" to come in so we can go through this other contractors mess and see if he can be let go immediately on Monday

Any advice on how to play this one?
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Working this weekend for free on the client site

one of the other "consultants" is a right obstructive *****, only in 9-5 and has really got on everyones nerves with his "i'm better than thou" attitude with the permies

client has emailed me and asked me to "volunteer" to come in so we can go through this other contractors mess and see if he can be let go immediately on Monday

You are about to make an enemy for life and risk more than a punch in the throat.

Think he/she won't ever find out what's happened? It's a small world, etc., and this sort of stunt will (guaranteed) soon make the rounds.

Taking part in the engineering of a dismissal, as you describe, is pretty low, and I doubt the legality of what you are about to do. If his work's so crap, then that alone is reason to get shut. Your weekend plotting escapade sounds very dodgy to me.

Well, you did ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
      You are about to make an enemy for life and risk more than a punch in the throat.

Think he/she won't ever find out what's happened? It's a small world, etc., and this sort of stunt will (guaranteed) soon make the rounds.

Taking part in the engineering of a dismissal, as you describe, is pretty low, and I doubt the legality of what you are about to do. If his work's so crap, then that alone is reason to get shut. Your weekend plotting escapade sounds very dodgy to me.

Well, you did ask!
      He's joking!
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Tee f--kin' hee.

Comment

Tee f--kin' hee.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Tee f--kin' hee.
            made me f--kin' laugh
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Tricky one that, it does depend somewhat on the situation on the ground and your relationship with the client.

In similar situations I've said no at short notice if it's not billable time, citing some excuse such as weekend away / commitments / wedding / funeral etc., but offered to be contactable on mobile if necessary. Difficult for the client to decline and usually worked, and of course I've switched my mobile off for the weekend since IMO I'm quite within my rights to choose not to answer my own mobile Oh, and never give anyone at clientco your real home or mobile no. - use a YAC no. you can redirect.
              Last edited by moorfield; 29 August 2008, 23:51.

Comment

You are justified in using whatever means necessary to destroy the opposition. Have him eliminated, in a display of watertight professionalism.

Comment

Working...
                X