• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eratic mouse movements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eratic mouse movements

Set up is one wireless mouse, keybd, monitor through a KVM to two machines. One XP, one Suse.

The linux machine behaves itself but the mouse is completely unusable on the XP one.

Eratic movements and phantom 'clicking' making the whole process a nightmare.

It's not the batteries cos I've checked them

Any suggestions?

TIA

What sort of KVM?

How does the wireless mouse communicate with KVM? Dongle?

If you (wirelessly) connect the same errant mouse directly into the XP machine, does it work ok?

Is the mouse Bluetooth or proprietary wireless?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Set up is one wireless mouse, keybd, monitor through a KVM to two machines. One XP, one Suse.

The linux machine behaves itself but the mouse is completely unusable on the XP one.

Any suggestions?

TIA
      My professional opinion is that it's probably ghosts...

HTH

B00med!

Comment

Any suggestions?

TIA
        weird I had this problem recently on my laptop

reinstalled XP and bought a new wireless mouse and the problem disappeared

XP was due for a reinstall due to 12 months of crap being installed and various hacks, patches and other things frigging round with the system files was causing all sorts of bad errors.

My mouse was "grubby" anyway
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          What sort of KVM?

How does the wireless mouse communicate with KVM? Dongle?

If you (wirelessly) connect the same errant mouse directly into the XP machine, does it work ok?

Is the mouse Bluetooth or proprietary wireless?
          Connects via wireless RF receiver which has a std mouse (not usb) connector, so no bluetooth either.

Will have to check the direct connection but that involves clambering under the desk - I guess it must be done.

Comment

Any suggestions?

TIA
            Had this problem the other day. Up was down left was right - wtf?

Turns out I had my mouse the wrong way round
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

OK, so now the mouse is plugged direct to the XP machine and it seems more stable so I guess the KVM is knackered.

Will try swapping it round later.

It's only happened since it had a new XP install but that's probably coincidence.

Comment

For a slightly more constructive comment, I'm guessing it's a driver or usb initialisation problem to do with the dongle being in the KVM, does the dongle work on xp if only the xp machine is on (and it was the first to boot)?
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  For a slightly more constructive comment, I'm guessing it's a driver or usb initialisation problem to do with the dongle being in the KVM, does the dongle work on xp if only the xp machine is on (and it was the first to boot)?
                  I think he said there was no Dongle (i.e. not USB) but some proprietary wireless receiver with an old-style mini-DIN mouse connector.

@Pondlife
                  Have you tried swapping the ports on the KVM between the XP and Suse boxes?

Sounds a bit of a ropey old setup

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    I think he said there was no Dongle (i.e. not USB) but some proprietary wireless receiver with an old-style mini-DIN mouse connector.

@Pondlife
                    Have you tried swapping the ports on the KVM between the XP and Suse boxes?

Sounds a bit of a ropey old setup
                    Hmmmm. It only happened since I did a rebuild of the XP box at which point everything was disconnected and so may well have swapped them round.

I suspect the KVM is kapput and in need of replacing.

Agreed it is a tad ropey.

What would the panel recommend as the preferred method of connecting two machines apart from a bigger desk

Comment

Working...
                    X