• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just asking Letter to America, can you just apply stamps and post it in the letterbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just asking Letter to America, can you just apply stamps and post it in the letterbox

Just asking Letter/Postcard to America, can you just apply stamps and post it in the local letterbox ?

or do you have to go to your local UK post office, have the small letter/post card weighed and then request to have it sent via the cheapest option i.e. 'surface mail' ?

the postoffice .co.uk website isn't that clear about it.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Just asking Letter/Postcard to America, can you just apply stamps and post it in the local letterbox ?

or do you have to go to your local UK post office, have the small letter/post card weighed and then request to have it sent via the cheapest option i.e. 'surface mail' ?

the postoffice .co.uk website isn't that clear about it.
    Are you about to post Contractor79 to the land of his dreams?

If so, I suggest a large Jiffy bag with 'Please Kick at Every Opportunity' written all over it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Isn't that clear?

How do I use Surface mail?
      Simply go to any Post Office™ and ask to send your item Surface mail to its destination. To help you send your mail in the most economical way you can choose between Surface Letters, Surface Printed Papers, and Surface Small Packets.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Isn't that clear?

How do I use Surface mail?
        Simply go to any Post Office™ and ask to send your item Surface mail to its destination. To help you send your mail in the most economical way you can choose between Surface Letters, Surface Printed Papers, and Surface Small Packets.
        yeah but I'm sure I remember that I used to send post cards to France etc. without having to attend the Post Office and ask for 'Surface Mail' ... does every individual that has ever sent a post card or small letter from the UK had to always 'go to the Post Office' and 'ask for surface mail' ???? seems pointless ... why not bung 2 quids worth of stamps and hope for the best ??

Comment

This FAQ implies that, unless marked as Airmail, items posted in the usual way will be treated as surface mail, although it could indeed be stated more clearly

Depending on the weight and nature of the beast it might cost less than a couple of quid.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
            yeah but I'm sure I remember that I used to send post cards to France etc. without having to attend the Post Office and ask for 'Surface Mail' ... does every individual that has ever sent a post card or small letter from the UK had to always 'go to the Post Office' and 'ask for surface mail' ???? seems pointless ... why not bung 2 quids worth of stamps and hope for the best ??
            Yes. Just apply sufficient stamps and it will assuredly get there.

Rudyard Kipling once returned an unsatisfactory Elephant hide to Mombassa simply by covering it with red twopenny stamps and shoving it into the post box at the end of his street.

His tongue was sore for weeks afterwards, however.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Surface mail to the US

I made that mistake once; it took over a month to get there.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Yeah reading up etc. I think if its a letter or a postcard you just write 'Airmail' in the top left hand corner then place the stamps (56p worth) in the top right hand corner and then the address with Postcode and 'U.S.A' at the bottom.

Comment

Go to Royal Mail online and pay for and print the postage required. Stick it on the envelope and send. Dead simple and no need to make the PO queues even longer.

Comment

Working...
                  X