• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG.org.uk - Worth the money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG.org.uk - Worth the money?

A newbie writes again . . . .

OK, so I'm new. I realise that naivety is a crime but does anyone employ PCG's services - as a site it looks like it represents an organisation carrying some weight in the contractor community and seems to offer a lot of good and well documented advice for free (right price range then!)

For a £120 subscription (buttons to you seasoned boys with squilllions in the bank but a serious investment for me, starting out with not much in the bank and several hungry mouths and an even hungrier mortgage to feed), you seem to get a fair few benefits. However I'm interested in the acid test - has anyone actually used them in their hour of need, and if so, did they live up to the hype?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experience . . .

The Great Gonzo (I know, a muppet).

Yes, yes.

I haven't used their services for HMRC purposes but I'm with them because I know that they'd be there if I needed them.

I do however use their discount for insurance. That alone cuts the £120pa down nicely. (And do not say 'do I need insurance?' - I for one will not be impressed...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Gonzo View Post
      Oi! Easy on the insults

I haven't used any of their benefits, I am with the PCG because contractors are facing a hostile government and need the representation.

Comment

However I'm interested in the acid test - has anyone actually used them in their hour of need, and if so, did they live up to the hype?
        Yep - PCG membership paid for and won my IR35 case. Forums very good source of info.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

What they said.

Also invest in PCGPlus. Another £100, but a big step in both coverage (it's not limited to IR35 investigations for one thing) and free benefits (like Jury Service insurance and agency insolvency cover) that more than offset the 30 pints of Stella it will cost.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes and thrice.. errr.. well yes again.

I see it the same as asking "do i need any breakdown cover for my alpha romeo?"
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I've won a few grands worth of work from the forums and I've also taken advantage of a couple of member benefits which represent a reasonable saving over the year.

That's in addition to the cover they provide. It's a no-brainer...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experience . . .

I was a member. I let it lapse, by accident (actually I tried to renew but their website gave me tulip & failed to take my money). I couldn't be bothered to make further efforts, since I was by then working as an employee in another country. I might well join again, but it's 6 & half-a-dozen, for me.

1. My PI etc is cheaper from Caunce O'Hara (found on this 'ere website) than theirs.
                2. I don't need IR35 insurance or assistance.
                3. I did like the jury duty insurance, but although it's a nice frill, in value for money terms I'm not sure it compares well to self-insuring.
                4. The forums are good, less chatty and more serious than here. Much like uk.consultants used to be on usenet, in fact it's probably the same people (except that usenet was free).
                5. I might be interested in it for the Bupa discount that may or may not be offered and may or may not be better than the 10% that Bupa force on you anyway. It's always hard to tell what you get from PCG without joining first, all the info you want is members-only! In business this is usually a sign that it's not worth it, but in the PCG case I think it's just bad planning/poor self-publicity.

Comment

I let my membership lapse 5 years after emigrating. If I was ever to be resident in the Uk again, and contracting, I'd rejoin, no question.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    What they said.

Also invest in PCGPlus. Another £100, but a big step in both coverage (it's not limited to IR35 investigations for one thing) and free benefits (like Jury Service insurance and agency insolvency cover) that more than offset the 30 pints of Stella it will cost.
                    I held back from joining PCG as I wasn't quite convinced that it was right for me. I have now joined (today) based on this thread (and other threads that recently mentioned PCG).

I think it is about the right time to join and hope I won't be disappointed with their services.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X