• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just spent an hour installing Photoshop CS3 :-<

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spent an hour installing Photoshop CS3 :-<

Maybe this belongs in the techie section, but in case anyone needs to install Adobe Photoshop CS3 on Windows it's worth knowing that this needs what looks like a vicious piece of malware called Bonjour Service

The first time I ran the install, my firewall popped up a flurry of prompts saying this service was trying to act as a server to accept incoming connections. HUH?!

Naturally I refused, but then the installation failed, and since this is vast and takes almost as long as Windows to install I wasted over an hour. More like two.

Why does every thick little commercial program like Photoshop, and Nero, even Symantec Ghost, have to morph over time into a vast piece of over-engineered bells and whistles belaboured bloatware that tries to take over the PC?

OH in Wilmslow mode

P.S. There's some info about Bonjour as it relates to Adobe here

P.P.S Anyone have a product key for Photoshop?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I use Paint Shop Pro, which does everything I need. Or if I'm in Linux, I'll have a go with GIMP and decide whether the time spent figuring out how to do stuff in GIMP would be better spent just rebooting into Windows.

I avoid RealPlayer for much the same reasons as you give for photoshop, and that's 'free'.

Comment

Bonjour is Apple's open source implementation of zero-configuration networking software.
      Should have guessed. Steve Jobs at work again.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I use Paint Shop Pro, which does everything I need. Or if I'm in Linux, I'll have a go with GIMP and decide whether the time spent figuring out how to do stuff in GIMP would be better spent just rebooting into Windows.

I avoid RealPlayer for much the same reasons as you give for photoshop, and that's 'free'.
        You can't really compare Paint Shop Pro to PS. Considering everything PS does (and does exceptionally well) it's not that bloated. It needs a fairly pokey machine but it's worth it.

Paint Shop pro used to be a nice little application up until V7. Bitmap and vector graphics all in one easy to use package. Then V8 came along with added bloat and noddy features nobody wanted. Then Corel bought and every release has been bigger, more bloated and useless.

I just can't even stand to launch Gimp. It sucks so badly it makes baby Jesus cry.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

i use paint.net

i think there is only a couple of paintshop features not in paint.net which i actually miss.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            i use paint.net

i think there is only a couple of paintshop features not in paint.net which i actually miss.
            Wow! You can't use many PSP features

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Wow! You can't use many PSP features
              Agreed

For basic picture editing, which is all i need and do, paint.net does the trick
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                You can't really compare Paint Shop Pro to PS. Considering everything PS does (and does exceptionally well) it's not that bloated. It needs a fairly pokey machine but it's worth it.

Paint Shop pro used to be a nice little application up until V7. Bitmap and vector graphics all in one easy to use package. Then V8 came along with added bloat and noddy features nobody wanted. Then Corel bought and every release has been bigger, more bloated and useless.

I just can't even stand to launch Gimp. It sucks so badly it makes baby Jesus cry.
                I've got V7 of PSP, which does everything I've ever wanted IIRC. What's in PS that is not in PSP and that one might want? Might have to watch out not to upgrade to V8 if it has gone downhill.

I've had huge time-wasting sessions with GIMP trying to do the most basic things. Once I was trying to figure out how to draw a circle or something simple and spent maybe an hour trying to figure it out. I think the answer was it's not easy.

Comment

Can`t stand bitmap editors, you can never select the object you want to edit,move, etc. Inkscape works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I've got V7 of PSP, which does everything I've ever wanted IIRC. What's in PS that is not in PSP and that one might want? Might have to watch out not to upgrade to V8 if it has gone downhill.

I've had huge time-wasting sessions with GIMP trying to do the most basic things. Once I was trying to figure out how to draw a circle or something simple and spent maybe an hour trying to figure it out. I think the answer was it's not easy.
                    Well PSP V8 came out about 5 years ago

Photoshop does much, much more than PSP. It's a professional tool, not just for twiddling with photos, but for creating commercial artwork for print.

PSP's support for CMYK colour management (essential for print) is patchy at best. It's also buggy as hell when it comes to sizing images for print, where you need total accuracy.

For web stuff PSP (pre-V8) is generally fine, although its gradient effects are neither as smooth or controllable as Photoshop's.

Comment

Working...
                    X