• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All the energy suppliers in the UK putting up prices.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the energy suppliers in the UK putting up prices.

They say it's due to wholesale natural gas prices going through the roof.

Well here's the price of natural gas over the last 3 months.

http://markets.ft.com/cgi-bin/upload...c7a08a72b2a2d8

Anyone care to explain?

all i can see there is a graph that could be anything*
    got a link to the original page

*comedy suggestions on a postcard please
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/[email protected]

Dropdown list to change the period.

Prices have dived since 1st July big time.

And yet all the energy suppliers are hiking prices by 30%.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        They say it's due to wholesale natural gas prices going through the roof.

Well here's the price of natural gas over the last 3 months.

http://markets.ft.com/cgi-bin/upload...c7a08a72b2a2d8

Anyone care to explain?
        They are private companies. They can charge what they like and they don't have to tell us why.
        Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 1 September 2008, 14:14. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Good of them to take all those prices rises up the **** on our behalf in the first 6/7 months of the year I'd say.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

if you make a 1 year chart you will see that the price 1 year ago was just under 6 and now it is just under 8.

Please tell me how much (in percentage) that increase is?
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              They are private companies. They can charge what they like and they don't have to tell us why.
              When all market players raise prices big time (but about the same value wise) within a couple of weeks range then this is pre-agreed in some way - maybe on golf course maybe over the phone.

Personally I am quietly pleased they did not raise electricity prices that much, which is odd as those are supposedly gas price dependent, I guess they already raised them so much that they could not do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                Good of them to take all those prices rises up the **** on our behalf in the first 6/7 months of the year I'd say.
                They were not - they buy forward contracts and fix price, supposedly now those contracts they bought many months ago expired so they had to increase prices.

If you look at actual gas prices bought on wholesale market and what they charge retail there will be huge difference - and it is odd what exactly that money is going into, those guys should have resold gas at market price + 10% or something.

Comment

Free-for-all

Not happening in France or Germany where two of the big energy players originate from (EdF and Eon), otherwise there would be massive public protests. Seems like the UK has become a free-for-all, 'wild west' country where anyone can come, buy banks/airports/energy companies/rail franchises and do pretty much what they like due to the complete lack of regulation and absence of a decent Gov't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                    Not happening in France or Germany where two of the big energy players originate from (EdF and Eon), otherwise there would be massive public protests. Seems like the UK has become a free-for-all, 'wild west' country where anyone can come, buy banks/airports/energy companies/rail franchises and do pretty much what they like due to the complete lack of regulation and absence of a decent Gov't.
                    I thought I could smell tulips

PS DJ where you been?

Comment

Working...
                    X