• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wussies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wussies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7592196.stm

British people are the least likely in Europe to be a "have-a-go heroes" and get involved if they witness a crime, research from a think tank claims.

The public policy group Reform says that Britons have become "passive bystanders" in the fight against crime.

It says the UK has the world's most expensive justice system but people are uninformed and abdicate responsibility to politicians, police and the courts.

The government said the justice system had been "transformed" since 1997.

Is it any wonder? Hit a chav yobbo with a golf club and you can end up in prison yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
      Is it any wonder? Hit a chav yobbo with a golf club and you can end up in prison yourself.
      You will either end up on a long stretch in prison or with a knife sticking out of your head.

I'll stand by and watch thanks.

Comment

I will only "have-a-go" when Tony Martin gets a public apology and a knighthood.

I would also have the chavs who had a go at Jeremy Clarkson in Milton Keynes publicly birched then put in stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          You will either end up on a long stretch in prison or with a knife sticking out of your head.
          WHS. It's all part of the Americanisation of our society...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

[url]The government said the justice system had been "transformed" since 1997.
            "Tranformed" into what? Do pray tell.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Have a go in the UK means, probably: prison, losing one's job, criminal record (and so no job... for ever or for years), family terrorized, a big, fat bill for legal expenses & compo. (for the toerag you wrestled to the ground to stop him chopping-up a granny in the high street), etc.

Have a go by all means, my friend; I'd rather let the majesty of the law do its thing... i.e. f--k all, but without my life being wrecked.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I will only "have-a-go" when Tony Martin gets a public apology and a knighthood.

I would also have the chavs who had a go at Jeremy Clarkson in Milton Keynes publicly birched then put in stocks.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Mate of mine last weekend got a call from his sister saying there was a group of guys in the flat above throwing things out the window at passersby and generally being drunken tw@ts. He marched round shouted "Oi you ****s down here now" at assorted eejits.
                  9 of them appeared at the door, the biggest first, all giving it the drunken big one. He hit him first, knocked him out and asked if they would like to leave it at that or whether he should phone some friends.

They apologised profusely and the party was disbanded. No more trouble

saying that I wouldn't get on the wrong side of my mate with a hangover.

(i don't condone this behaviour in any way and I probably just made this up)
                  Last edited by Torran; 2 September 2008, 10:50.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7592196.stm

British people are the least likely in Europe to be a "have-a-go heroes" and get involved if they witness a crime, research from a think tank claims.

The public policy group Reform says that Britons have become "passive bystanders" in the fight against crime.

It says the UK has the world's most expensive justice system but people are uninformed and abdicate responsibility to politicians, police and the courts.

The government said the justice system had been "transformed" since 1997.

I think this is just saying that they want the man-in-the street to do the job of the police for them in stopping crime.
                    The police will then come around to your house and arrest you on some pretext and send you to prison for years because they found "items (unspecified) of illicit sex" on your computer that they confiscated at the time of your arrest with the result that when you are finally released from jail you have to be put on the sex offenders register.
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                    X