• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unpaid VAT invoice - advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid VAT invoice - advice please

I sent a retrospective VAT only invoice to my former agency. After four months of chasing they have not paid up.

Is it possible they would dispute the invoice given that I was not VAT registered at the time of employment, or are they just being too lazy to send the bill to the end client? It is after all the client that has to bear the cost, or would the agency have charged the client VAT regardless of whether I was VAT registered myself?

I've already paid the VAT to HMRC so I don't want to write it off.

Anyone had a similar experience and can perhaps recommend a solicitor? Debt recovery solicitors won't deal with VAT only cases.
    my photos

If you marked the original invoice "VAT Number Pending" or something similar then they are more or less duty bound to pay the VAT to you on a retro invoice. It makes no odds to them as they wll be able to claim it back on their VAT return. Just treat it like any other debt and hit them with a 7-day letter.

Why have you paid it over to HMRC already? Surely for cash flow purposes you would be using the VAT cash accounting method.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
      If you marked the original invoice "VAT Number Pending" or something similar then they are more or less duty bound to pay the VAT to you on a retro invoice. It makes no odds to them as they wll be able to claim it back on their VAT return. Just treat it like any other debt and hit them with a 7-day letter.

Why have you paid it over to HMRC already? Surely for cash flow purposes you would be using the VAT cash accounting method.
      Yes, the invoice was marked "VAT registration pending".

I asked my accountants about whether it would be HRMC's loss or mine and they said I would have to declare all the VAT due regardless of whether it has been paid. They completed all my VAT forms.
      my photos

Comment

Did you have the VAT registration backdated?

If so you can either file against the company - do a search for bad payers theres a couple of links to websites.

You can also contact your VAT office and advise them of it - I doubt the agency will like HMRC sniffing around...
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Don't forget, the payment of retropsective VAT bills is not actually part of your contracted payment terms. You might just be stuck in their 90-day payment terms cycle.

Still chase them up though !
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            Did you have the VAT registration backdated?

If so you can either file against the company - do a search for bad payers theres a couple of links to websites.

You can also contact your VAT office and advise them of it - I doubt the agency will like HMRC sniffing around...
            Yes, I had the VAT registration backdated.

I'll contact the VAT office if this goes on much longer, thanks.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Don't forget, the payment of retropsective VAT bills is not actually part of your contracted payment terms. You might just be stuck in their 90-day payment terms cycle.

Still chase them up though !
            It would be good if the agency would actually respond to me and actually confirm they're not obliged to pay!

They kept saying they'll look into it and recently ignored me completely.
            my photos

Comment

Originally posted by monkeygeorge View Post
              Yes, the invoice was marked "VAT registration pending".

I asked my accountants about whether it would be HRMC's loss or mine and they said I would have to declare all the VAT due regardless of whether it has been paid. They completed all my VAT forms.
              With respect, your accountant is wrong. You categorically do not have to declare VAT on your VAT return until it is paid. I suggest you take this matter up with your accountant as a matter of urgency.

Comment

Yes, I had the VAT registration backdated.

I'll contact the VAT office if this goes on much longer, thanks.

It would be good if the agency would actually respond to me and actually confirm they're not obliged to pay!

They kept saying they'll look into it and recently ignored me completely.
                I think they will find they are obliged to pay, and if they refuse, it is to be reported to HMRC.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                  With respect, your accountant is wrong. You categorically do not have to declare VAT on your VAT return until it is paid. I suggest you take this matter up with your accountant as a matter of urgency.
                  I've already paid it, so it's too late now, isn't it?
                  Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  I think they will find they are obliged to pay, and if they refuse, it is to be reported to HMRC.
                  Would the HRMC care if they already have their money?
                  my photos

Comment

Would the HRMC care if they already have their money?
                    Yes. Someone is hanging on to money that doesn't belong to them.

First rule of business - never, ever, piss off the Vatman...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X