• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: These Flat Screen TV's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: These Flat Screen TV's

Afternoon All,

these flat screen tv's, if I buys one from a supplier in the USA ('cos they're cheaper across the pond) will it work in the UK/Europe, or is there still that NTSC / PAL problem ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Dunno for sure, but very probably.
    Excellent cuk 'expert' answer. Would have been better if you stated emphatically the wrong answer though. 8/10

Comment

Depends.

Some will work others won't.

My mate shipped over a very large plasma from the USA a few months back. Guess what. That one didn't work. Seems PAL support was disabled to prevent UK buyers bypassing rip-off prices in the UK.

Comment

I heard they take it both ways.
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          I take it both ways.
          HAB..is that you?

Comment

American tellies often implode on the UK mains, thus creating micro blackholes, like the hadron thingy will.

Comment

I wouldn't recomment an American TV. The choice of programmes is absolute carp!

Comment

Won't it be 110volt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Won't it be 110volt ?
                  No. All modern TVs will work on all available mains voltages and freqs.

Just imagine the production costs of fitting custom PSU circuitry for every market. All the mfrs need to supply is a cable with the right plug on the end.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

shirley the NTSC/PAL thing won't be an issue if you're connecting to a Sky or Freeview box as you're bypassing the built-in tuner?

Comment

Working...
                    X