• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest government ploy to reduce the unemployment figures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest government ploy to reduce the unemployment figures

The minimum leaving age is now 17 and proposed to be set to 18 in the future..

Does this means that having A-Levels won't be a minority thing any more ?

Some people are just not academic and would rather stay out of the education system... I just think if it aint broke .. don't fix it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7595155.stm

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

Does this means that having A-Levels won't be a minority thing any more ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7595155.stm
    They will try and get 95% of those in the "ability" group that does not do A-levels to be able to read and write instead.

As for it not being broke!

What point is there releasing a 16 year old who has either failed the education system or been failed by it into the job market ?
    Last edited by bren586; 3 September 2008, 07:20.
    "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Surely 16-18 year olds haven't been counted as unemployed for a long time now. Tory policy IIRC.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Basically no as they are only required to do 1 days taining/studying a week.

So what's the point?

Comment

Send them off to do National service for a year
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
            They will try and get 95% of those in the "ability" group that does not do A-levels to be able to read and write instead.

As for it not being broke!

What point is there releasing a 16 year old who has either failed the education system or been failed by it into the job market ?
            One of my neighbours is a bricklayer, the education system was a waste of time as far as he was concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
              One of my neighbours is a bricklayer, the education system was a waste of time as far as he was concerned.
              Agreed, the education system is a one size fits all model. it does not suit everyone. This is just another way of keeping kids locked into the system and feeding them more tulip on 'this is the way the world is'...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Send them off to do National service for a year
                Unfortunately that isn't the answer, because all these bleeding heart liberals wouldn't allow the chavs to be beasted which is just what they need.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  Unfortunately that isn't the answer, because all these bleeding heart liberals wouldn't allow the chavs to be beasted which is just what they need.

Not just the chavs but all of em (or should that say "us" ? )
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I can see one big flaw in the Government's scheme to keep children in education until they are 17.

Who the **** is going to look after their kids whilst they are at school?
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X