• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traditional Art Revival

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Art Revival

Portrait Revival

Good to see some traditional skills and forms enjoying a revival.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Originally posted by WageSlave
    Portrait Revival

Good to see some traditional skills and forms enjoying a revival.
    So that's more taxes going down the loo - I think every UK resident should have a Charles & Camilla oil painting to put in pride of place abive the fire.
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
      So that's more taxes going down the loo - I think every UK resident should have a Charles & Camilla oil painting to put in pride of place abive the fire.
      Why taxes going down the toilet?

Actually I would be interested to know whether people here consider work by Damian Hurst and exhibits for the Turner Prize art? Personally I think that Art, by definition should be athsetically pleasing as well as thought provoking

Comment

John, I believe that 'modern art' (whatever that means) is art, and I defend it as such. It just happens to be very bad art.
        Art has always been more than just technical skill, although that surely is a contributing element. Art has always been about ideas and themes. Renaissance paintings are the perfect example, exploring religious and secular themes, each carefully constructed. So-called modern art continues that tradition, but it has lost the technical part. Now it is simply an idea, and usually a vapid idea.

Comment

John, I believe that 'modern art' (whatever that means) is art, and I defend it as such. It just happens to be very bad art.
          Art has always been more than just technical skill, although that surely is a contributing element. Art has always been about ideas and themes. Renaissance paintings are the perfect example, exploring religious and secular themes, each carefully constructed. So-called modern art continues that tradition, but it has lost the technical part. Now it is simply an idea, and usually a vapid idea.
          'It just happens to be very bad art' What puts you in a position to make sweeping comments like that?

And I thought AtW was an expert on everthing
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
            'It just happens to be very bad art' What puts you in a position to make sweeping comments like that?

And I thought AtW was an expert on everthing
            Ah, bugpus, I might have guessed you'd be back to kick my balls.

I've never claimed to be an expert. But having studied Renaissance and Enlightenment art at university perhaps I can offer an opinion, or do you object to that? Perhaps you are the great expert on every subject, and everyone else has to ask your permission before expressing any sort of view?

Are you seriously going to tell me that Emin produces good art?
            Last edited by WageSlave; 25 August 2005, 13:11.

Comment

Now, Emin, she is one seriously ugly bitch! You'd not catch me shagging her leg!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                Now, Emin, she is one seriously ugly bitch! You'd not catch me shagging her leg!
                Nice baps though. She's got them out a few times, along with the old furry troll.

Comment

Ah, bugpus, I might have guessed you'd be back to kick my balls.

I've never claimed to be an expert. But having studied Renaissance and Enlightenment art at university perhaps I can offer an opinion, or do you object to that? Perhaps you are the great expert on every subject, and everyone else has to ask your permission before expressing any sort of view?

Ah. lets just concentrate on the bete noir of the sun/mail. No I don't particularly like TE's work but to dismiss all modern art as rubbish is a bit like saying all modern literature is rubbish. Things move on, times change, and so do the ways we percieve. Art isn't just about photo realism (we have cameras these days), it should be about emotion, interpretation, love/life/death you name it. There are chancers , no doubt, who create something and then look for a meaning, and Emin maybe one of those. But without the none traditional artists such as Picasso's,Van gough, dali, bacon, Hockney, lichtenstein etc. the art world would be a much duller place.

If you get yourself down to the Tate modern, you may be discusted but at least it will make you think. More than can be said for watercolour challenge.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    Art isn't just about photo realism (we have cameras these days), it should be about emotion, interpretation, love/life/death you name it.

But without the none traditional artists such as Picasso's,Van gough, dali, bacon, Hockney, lichtenstein etc. the art world would be a much duller place.
                    Guess what. I completely agree with you. By 'modern art' I meant Hirst, Emin, Lucas et al. Their work is art but it's devoid of profound insight and the execution contains precious little skill.
                    Picasso is without doubt a genius. 'Guernica' isn't a work of photo realism, but it's a powerful statement. He explored non-traditional ways of expressing his art (a la Duchamp). Lichtenstein I would question, but that's another argument.

I've always been a fan of Surrealism and fond of many expressionists. Bacon was a great artist (have you seen 'Love is the Devil'?). Peter Greenaway is an interesting contemporary artist (damn his forum for flooding my inbox!). Speaking of photography, Sam Taylor Wood has produced some good work.
                    Last edited by WageSlave; 25 August 2005, 14:55.

Comment

Working...
                    X