• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling some books - how to account ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling some books - how to account ?

A while ago I bought some technical text books through ltdco, which I'm now planning to flog on ebay as they have turned out to be pretty hopeless.

As they were originally acoounted for as expenses not fixed assets how do I account for them now on resale ?

They are simple income. I trust you'll be charging VAT...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      They are simple income. I trust you'll be charging VAT...
      There's no VAT on books.

Comment

Very true. To be really pedantic, there is, but it's set at 0%. End result is the same, of course.

However I was wondering if the OP knew that...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Surely there is often vat on technical books. If it includes media then vat is charged (or has that changed?)

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Surely there is often vat on technical books. If it includes media then vat is charged (or has that changed?)
            Thats possibly why many tech books these days give a link to a download section on the publishers website.
            Download content is freely available
            Book remains at 0% VAT
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Very true. To be really pedantic, there is, but it's set at 0%. End result is the same, of course.

However I was wondering if the OP knew that...
              Surely the real question is: I trust you will be declaring the income in the company's books?

Comment

Agreed!
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                  Surely the real question is: I trust you will be declaring the income in the company's books?
                  Well it has crossed my mind not to bother. But presumeably Hector might check if he ever came knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Well it has crossed my mind not to bother. But presumeably Hector might check if he ever came knocking.
                    You could take a view that the books are worthless and give them away (largely this is the purpose of expense items, they don't have retained value).

If the person you give them to happens to lob them on ebay and get a few quid then that's just their good fortune

Hector is not going to quibble about the second hand value of a few out of date technical books.

Comment

Working...
                    X