• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting abroad- minimium period not to get additional UK tax charged?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting abroad- minimium period not to get additional UK tax charged?

Hello,

Currently contracting in Switzerland on an ongoing basis (agency payroll) since 1st June 2008, someone advised me that if I return to the UK after a certain period then no additional tax is due otherwise I would need to pay the difference as its only 19% ish here.

So If I stay here till 1st April ie most of 2008/9 financial year am I okay? as work is plentiful and even if not could take time off to study as the extra tax saved would pay the rent.

Note: I am not returning to the UK each weekend so living here full time whilst here.

Depends on residency, if you are deemed non-resident UK you will pay swiss tax, otherwise UK tax. Note a short period in Switzerland will mean you are UK resident.

Do a search on the the HMRC website.

Comment

IR20

Para 2.2 to 2.7

On the face of it, you'll need to stay until April 2010 to qualify. However, it can start immediately if you've left the UK permanently / indefinitely.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can't I count April & May which I was in UK for, as you have 183 days allowance in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by YHB View Post
          Can't I count April & May which I was in UK for, as you have 183 days allowance in the UK?
          No because you weren't then non-resident. IANAL etc.

Comment

Working...
          X