• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

risk/reward or permtractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

risk/reward or permtractor?

I work alongside some contractors who have been in place about 4 years now. On renewal they always moan about the agency not agreeing to their rate rise etc etc etc and then they always say 'I'll be looking for another contract at the next renewal'. When it comes down to it, they apply for maybe 2 contracts and then when they come to nothing they renew as normal.

When I say to them why don't they just leave and pick something up soon, they tell me they need to be in contract to get by and can't afford not to. Given that these are guys who are billing in the region of £600/day, I was quite surprised at this.

Are they being pragmatic or do they not consider risk v reward or are they permtractors?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I work alongside some contractors who have been in place about 4 years now. On renewal they always moan about the agency not agreeing to their rate rise etc etc etc and then they always say 'I'll be looking for another contract at the next renewal'. When it comes down to it, they apply for maybe 2 contracts and then when they come to nothing they renew as normal.

When I say to them why don't they just leave and pick something up soon, they tell me they need to be in contract to get by and can't afford not to. Given that these are guys who are billing in the region of £600/day, I was quite surprised at this.

Are they being pragmatic or do they not consider risk v reward or are they permtractors?

Flip me! If I was on a perma-contract at 600 a day I wouldn't be complaining.
    Bored.

Comment

They are just human tractors. Don't you see them in a group walking down Moorgate dragging a metal plough along the road, scraping along the tarmac as they go. Must be hard work for them, but

can't be bothered to finish that surreal sentance. I'm bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Flip me! If I was on a perma-contract at 600 a day I wouldn't be complaining.
        You're not kidding!

Comment

are they billing £600 a day, or is the colsultantcy they work for billing 600 a day - slight difference...
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

thats £575k (before tax) over 4 years based on 48 weeks work a year.

Give the gits a kick in the nads from me plaese

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
              are they billing £600 a day, or is the colsultantcy they work for billing 600 a day - slight difference...
              Their rate is £600/day. It's about average around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
                thats £575k (before tax) over 4 years based on 48 weeks work a year.
                That's part of the point. After billing that amount, and constantly moaning about moving on, they really should have some set aside to be able to let them make that choice...

Comment

Their rate is £600/day. It's about average around here...

Any Jobs?
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

That's part of the point. After billing that amount, and constantly moaning about moving on, they really should have some set aside to be able to let them make that choice...
                    It is your duty, a moral imperative, to advise them to move on.
                    When that's done, please PM me with the client details so I can, erm, you know, make sure.....I guess I should know what the job is too, googling to be done....
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X