• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dev doing support work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dev doing support work

So the client wants developers to be available for on call weekend support work.

Client wants ability to log in to resolve issues (should any occur) are willing to pay the equivalent of 0.5 day's rate as a retainer for the whole weekend both days and nights and will only pay more if and when you are required to log on.

Sounds like wink to me.

What would the panel think would be reasonable to charge for such an expectation?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Playing this as a hardass, if being on call stops you from doing "other stuff" then they should pay you your full daily rate (if not more for being "out of hours"). Unless you're happy to take a reduced rate to be stuck at home waiting for call - might be worth doing if you don't get out much!
    Last edited by voodooflux; 3 September 2008, 11:27.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

If you don't like their offer, make a counter offer.

I do it for that much, if I hadn't anything planned for the weeked, and charge 1.5x time sat, 2x time sun, and 2x that for unsocial hours, if called. Minimum time slot 1 hour.

The retainer is immaterial, in fact. The rate for being called should be sufficient for it to be a deterent to being called.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
      X