• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to rethink how it staffs projects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK to rethink how it staffs projects

Posted on CUK today...

Demand for temporary workers who use recruitment agencies is set to plummet if a European directive to give them the same pay as permanent staff is introduced.

Almost two-thirds of employers believe they will reduce their reliance on agency workers should they be legally entitled to equal pay and conditions after 12 weeks.

Exactly how equality of employment rights, including holiday pay, will work for temps and employers alike is likely to remain unclear until 2009, at the earliest.

The directive may not affect the UK until 2010 but employers are already worried about how it might develop, and are sure it will dramatically change their hiring practices.

Questioned by law firm Eversheds, the overwhelming majority of employers said the new rules would “force them to change the way they structure their workforce”.

Is it just me, or is this not relevant to the majority of contractors? Most I know - and, it seems, most posters on here - don't WANT the same rights (and thus responsibilities) as perm staff. And besides, many run their own company, and as such provide a service, etc...

Am I missing the point?

Originally posted by P1mpAndPr0ud View Post
    Posted on CUK today...

Demand for temporary workers who use recruitment agencies is set to plummet if a European directive to give them the same pay as permanent staff is introduced.

Almost two-thirds of employers believe they will reduce their reliance on agency workers should they be legally entitled to equal pay and conditions after 12 weeks.

Exactly how equality of employment rights, including holiday pay, will work for temps and employers alike is likely to remain unclear until 2009, at the earliest.

The directive may not affect the UK until 2010 but employers are already worried about how it might develop, and are sure it will dramatically change their hiring practices.

Questioned by law firm Eversheds, the overwhelming majority of employers said the new rules would “force them to change the way they structure their workforce”.

Is it just me, or is this not relevant to the majority of contractors? Most I know - and, it seems, most posters on here - don't WANT the same rights (and thus responsibilities) as perm staff. And besides, many run their own company, and as such provide a service, etc...

Am I missing the point?

Yes.

this has been discussed previously
    B00med!

Comment

Posted on CUK today...

Am I missing the point?

Oh it's very relevant. Let's hope we get another opt out clause for this too or it'll be 11 week contracts all round.
      Bored.

Comment

Posted on CUK today...

[I]Demand for temporary workers who use recruitment agencies is set to plummet if a European directive to give them the same pay as permanent staff is introduced.
        WTF!!! no way i'm taking a pay cut cause of some knob in brussells
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          Oh it's very relevant. Let's hope we get another opt out clause for this too or it'll be 11 week contracts all round.
          That's kind of my point - surely opting out of current regulations defines you as a provider of services, rather than a temporary employee (thus new regs are not relevant)?

Comment

That's kind of my point - surely opting out of current regulations defines you as a provider of services, rather than a temporary employee (thus new regs are not relevant)?
            Does this really effect us as contractors......i don't want the pay cut to be on equal rights..
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

You're not temporary workers... you're employed by our own Ltd.
              B00med!

Comment

True - but you have to convince the HR nobs who work for most of these clients.

Comment

Working...
                X