• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the longest you have been out of Work in the last year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the longest you have been out of Work in the last year

Hello Guys,

I am looking into becoming a contractor but the chances of not having work for 2-3 months scares the hell out of me. I have been in the IT industry 5+ and I have a varied skill set with Linux, Java, SQL and Web 2.0 and as much as I like doing different things and of cause more money (tis nices ), I am not sure about the working conditions with the current economic climate.

I have read all the newbie stuff but apart from insurance they have not said much about how you guys coupe with long periods of no work and is there any indication of how often that happens.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I finished my last contract at the end of May, and have been happily relaxing, reading, watching DVDs, and experimenting with technologies that may or may not be of value to me in future contracts for the summer. I'm just starting to think about getting back to work for the winter, but financially I'm fine.

YMMV.

Comment

Mate - whole point of contracting is that you are able to take 2-3 -6 months or even a year off work !!!

Comment

If the prospect of being without work for a few months scares you I would advise you to think long and hard about becoming a contractor, it's a big feature of the lifestyle and one of the primary risks you take.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I finished my last contract at the end of May, and have been happily relaxing, reading, watching DVDs, and experimenting with technologies that may or may not be of value to me in future contracts for the summer. I'm just starting to think about getting back to work for the winter, but financially I'm fine.

YMMV.
          Perhaps I should also add that prior to this summer I had been in contract almost continuously for about three years - 1 year 11 months with one client (much of that time working from home), was offered a contract (in the pub after a conference) less than a week after finishing there which took me through to Christmas, and then went straight into the next contract after New Year.

So I'm not really lazy, I'm just having three years' worth of holidays in one go

Comment

Oh to answer your original question.......... I'm in my 3rd month off at the moment having worked solidly for almost 3 years without any time off apart from Bank Holidays and weekends.

Comment

zero days
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                zero days
                WHS
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Zero days here too - but I plan to take all of Feb off as I won't have a contract by then

Comment

Nothing this year. 4 months last year. But I'm in an industry niche. If you've got a varied set of skills and are prepared to use them, you'll be in work more often but your rate will likely be a little lower.

Economic conditions shouldn't worry you - your individual ability and approach will affect your income much more. But if you are worried about 3 months out you won't enjoy contracting just because you'll be chewing your nails, and end up accepting low rates just to keep the wolf from the door. Build up a cash reserve first. Personally I'd welcome 3 months out.

Comment

Working...
                    X