• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another New Lie policy mistake ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another New Lie policy mistake ?

At the moment organ donors carry an opt-in card. In future it is proposed that people would have had to have opted out.

This is quite worrying to me as I can see doubts creeping in as to whether doctors did enough to save a dying patient. There could be a conflict of interest here. This is an extreme example, but what for instance if a doctor's family member required an organ within a few hours to survive and there was a perfect potential donor organ in a patient in intensive care in the same hospital. Would that doctor do everything to save that patient ?

Yet again, as in declassification of cannibis, I don't think that this policy has been thought through properly .

You know the rules. Linky or it isn't true.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      This is an extreme example, but what for instance if a doctor's family member required an organ within a few hours to survive and there was a perfect potential donor organ in a patient in intensive care in the same hospital. Would that doctor do everything to save that patient ?
      Crap ! If they were that way inclined they could quite easily slip a donor card in the dying patients pocket.

Comment

I've registered on the donor register http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do

I know several people who're walking around now as a result of successful transplants. As far as I'm concerned if I cark it I've got no use for any bits they can recycle to save someones life or suffering.

Personally speaking I've got no issues with changing the system from opt in to opt out, it's a moral issue not a political one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

You know the rules. Linky or it isn't true.

it's true!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7595450.stm

Comment

Do you think your "conflict of interest" already happens where the patient is a card-carrying organ donor?

Comment

If they did this I'll opt out.

I'm currently on the donor register and carry a card. Though I just oppose the idea of "assuming consent" for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Do you think your "conflict of interest" already happens where the patient is a card-carrying organ donor?

Yes, but those people that carry donor cards must already have weighed this up. It is why I do not carry a donor card because I have heard some bad stories of patients being allowed to die. If they bring this law in, I will opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Yes, but those people that carry donor cards must already have weighed this up. It is why I do not carry a donor card because I have heard some bad stories of patients being allowed to die. If they bring this law in, I will opt out.
                  They've already thought of that. They will make it very difficult for you to opt out. You will have to jump through a few hoops, like register every year, within a deadline to opt out, plus supply a valid reason, identity proofs and address etc just to ensure someone is not trying to do it for you! and of course the obligatory admin fee . Agencies will probably spring up to do it for you conveniently for a price.

An NHS spokesperson claimed "the opt out process may seem complicated, but it's purpose is to protect the minority of individuals who choose a path divergent to our collective society" He later added that those who opted out for non-religious reasons were being selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    If they did this I'll opt out.

I'm currently on the donor register and carry a card. Though I just oppose the idea of "assuming consent" for anything.
                    Totally agree - I've carried a donor card for 20+ years and I'm on the register, but if they do this I'll opt out. I am not the property of the state.

Comment

Working...
                    X