• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's Daily Mail stroy - What did the Romans do for us?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Daily Mail stroy - What did the Romans do for us?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-AIDS.html

Well, apart from the usual answers of roads, sanitation and a fondness for wine, it appears they have also made us more vulnerable to HIV.

According to genetic research published on Wednesday, when Julius Caesar made his first exploratory visit to our shores in 55BC he triggered a chain of events which may have lowered our resistance to the virus which leads to Aids.

The theory is that as the Roman Empire spread so did an unknown illness that killed those carrying a gene that would one day give their descendants resistance to the virus.

As a result, today's inhabitants of nations once conquered by the Romans tend to lack the gene and so are more susceptible to HIV.

Gave us AIDS! The dirty immigrant b@st@rds!

Hmm! I wonder how resistant the scot's are then

Hadrian may have done them a favour building that wall
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Hmm! I wonder how resistant the scot's are then

Hadrian may have done them a favour building that wall
      What about Offa and his dyke?
      (lovely girl!)

Comment

What is a "stroy"?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
        X