• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm Hilliterate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Hilliterate

Driving back from Wales today, in the pissing rain all the way, it suddenly occured to me that although I have a good idea where most towns in the country are, I've no idea where the Cotswolds or the Chilterns are.

Those two hills are the most confusing, possibly because they both begin with "C" and probably aren't that far apart. But I also have no idea where the Quantock hills are, or the Mendips. (I'm not even entirely sure the Mendips *are* hills.) However on the plus side I do know roughly where the Pennines are, and the North and South downs.

Also I don't even know which hills Elgar wandered while dreaming up his fiddle tunes. These must have been near Worcester though, as that was where he lived.

Let's face it, if I'd been a stone age guy, arriving in the UK for the first time after the last ice age, before any towns existed, I'd be totally fecked.

P.S. Are there any other hills in England I should know about?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountai...lls_of_England

HTH
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Jfgiydc

Comment

Elgar: The Malverns (Where I'm from)
        Cotswolds (Between Gloucester, Swindon and Oxford - ish)
        Chilterns (Think Aylesbury)
        QUantocks (Somerset)

Dont know about the other one

Lookup Clent Hills (SW of Birmingham)

PS I'm not a hill freak jsut know my hills!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Let's face it, if I'd been a stone age guy, arriving in the UK for the first time after the last ice age, before any towns existed, I'd be totally fliped.

Nope, women use landmarks to navigate while men use an internal map, i.e. have a natural sense of direction.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Nope, women use landmarks to navigate while men use an internal map, i.e. have a natural sense of direction.
            Yup, I don't use maps either. I never get lost, but end up doing a lot of exploring. (God, I hope that gag wasn't nicked from a post on this board)

BTW the replies so far have been very hilluminating (edit: apart from Shim's "just fliping give it your, um, no I give up")
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 September 2008, 12:18.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X