• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

account wants to claw back 06/07 fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

account wants to claw back 06/07 fees

Can an accountant claw back fees that they did not charge/collect from last tax year still???

my account says they did not collect all monies owed for fees which they usually collect via direct debit.. This is the not the first time they have done this.

Yes. a debt is a debt.
    I think unclaimed charges can be recovered up to 3 years later.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If your accountant is so bad that they can't even manage their own credit control, then find a new one.

But you must pay the debt. If you'd forgotten to invoice an agency last year, you'd still like them to cough up, wouldn't you?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
        Can an accountant claw back fees that they did not charge/collect from last tax year still???

my account says they did not collect all monies owed for fees which they usually collect via direct debit.. This is the not the first time they have done this.
        If you missed billing a client would you still expect to be able to submit an invoice?

And if its collected by DD isnt that the bank's fault not your accountant's?

Jesus.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Do you work for free? Nope, thought not. You're wanting your accountant to though. As a businessman I am sure you pay enough attention to your own bank account to notice that you didn't pay the DD and therefore should have brought this to your accountants attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
            Do you work for free? Nope, thought not. You're wanting your accountant to though. As a businessman I am sure you pay enough attention to your own bank account to notice that you didn't pay the DD and therefore should have brought this to your accountants attention.
            You are Diesel's accountant and I claim my 5 free months accounting
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Nope.

If my fee doesn't get paid on the 1st of the month, the boys come and collect it on the 2nd!!

Comment

The caring face of the profession. "Accountants just do it for money".
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well, what the h*ll else are we going to be doing it for?

Comment

FWIW I have this particular T-Shirt. In my case I didn't have any specific agreed fee schedule. My accountants sold out to a chain and after a while I decided to move accountants. At this point they discovered that there was a chunk of unbilled audit work (shows how long ago it was as all Ltds needed an audit then).

Eventually agreed a compromise with the new firm (who to their credit were a bit sheepish about it) and transferred to a different accountant.

So for the OP I would say that if the fees are within the terms of any agreement they have then it is perfectly reasonable to be expected to pay them. Whether or not they wish to use a firm who can be as disorganised about their own admin is a different question entirely.

Comment

Working...
                    X