• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market in Scotland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market in Scotland

Anybody based in Scotland? If so how has the market been the past couple of years.

Was bored on Friday and decided to see what house prices were doing and was genuinely quite shocked at what we could afford in Scotland. Lovely big house loads of countryside and fresh air, looking quite attractive at the moment but no idea how the contracting market is up there.

Anybody got any anecdotal evidence of the place and the market?

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    was genuinely quite shocked at what we could afford in Scotland.
    You need to factor in 3% local income tax that I am sure will appear there soon...

Comment

Anybody based in Scotland? If so how has the market been the past couple of years.

Was bored on Friday and decided to see what house prices were doing and was genuinely quite shocked at what we could afford in Scotland. Lovely big house loads of countryside and fresh air, looking quite attractive at the moment but no idea how the contracting market is up there.

Anybody got any anecdotal evidence of the place and the market?
      Nothing to see here -
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Contracting up here is a joke, although I'm based up here I rarely work here. That's why when the opportunity to work from home comes along I relish it, 11 months so far and counting
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You need to factor in 3% local income tax that I am sure will appear there soon...

That actually sounds quite good to me as it isn't going to affect my divi's, but it will reduce my council tax

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            For anyone who's hoping to retire in the foreeable future, this is a big plus.
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

That actually sounds quite good to me as it isn't going to affect my divi's, but it will reduce my council tax
              Don't forget free prescriptions, free transport on the buses anywhere, no bridge tolls, quality of treatment in the NHS is better apparently... I'm sure dim prawn will be along to fill in the blanks....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Don't forget free prescriptions, free transport on the buses anywhere, no bridge tolls, quality of treatment in the NHS is better apparently... I'm sure dim prawn will be along to fill in the blanks....

Remember though, many Scots have a chip on their shoulder with regard to the English. It's a shame but definitely a deterrent for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Remember though, many Scots have a chip on their shoulder with regard to the English. It's a shame but definitely a deterrent for me.
                  WHS with bells on
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Meh, the English are all ****ers anyway..... (I should know, I am one)

Must say I'm not that worried about that side of it, most of the Scots I have known throughout the years have been great people once you have got to know them and I'm sure you will get a sizeable bunch of assholes with chips on their shoulders wherever you go.

Not to mention I'll be a lot closer to the family we have in Anglesey. The one worry I have is problems getting work that is communtible that result in me spending a lot of time away from the family as I don't really want to only see the kids at weekends.

Another positive is that I'll be bloody miles away from the mother in law in London

Comment

Working...
                    X