• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£1M house now only £25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£1M house now only £25

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...ty.houseprices

A five-bedroom house, complete with 9.5 acres of woodland, a two-acre fishing lake and four separate two-bed holiday lodges - one lucky person will win it all for £25. The owners, Brian and Wendy Wilshaw, will be winners too.

Last year they were struggling to sell the property, marketed at £950,000 just as the housing slump took hold. It had few viewings, and no offers.

But after launching an online prize competition at the website winadevonpropertywithfishing.co.uk, they've sold 34,000 tickets - that's £850,000 - and are in sight of their 46,000 target.
    Well, sort of.

I've heard of this sort of thing happening before, I believe that it's been known to pay off well for the people "selling".

Comment

Did they obtain proper lottery license to do stuff like this?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Did they obtain proper lottery license to do stuff like this?
        No. I expect they'll be receiving a court summons shortly.

Game of pure skill is allowed, but not lottery based predominently on luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

OK then, for a chance to win my six bedroomed house, answer this tricky question:

How many berooms does my house have?

a) 1
          b) 6
          c) Andy W

Send your entry to PRC Towers along with a cheque for £25 to cover my expenses.

The winner will be be drawn from a hat once I've collected £1.5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

They've done it legitimately as far as I could see. You have to answer a question that requires specific knowledge and they have picked a reasonable one. Nothing to stop you going away and looking it up of course, but the gaming laws were drafted before the days of t'interweb thingy.

Worth a punt if you ask me, and better odds than the lottery.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I hope the house is better than their "MySpace" page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=405240383

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                They've done it legitimately as far as I could see. You have to answer a question that requires specific knowledge and they have picked a reasonable one. Nothing to stop you going away and looking it up of course, but the gaming laws were drafted before the days of t'interweb thingy.

Worth a punt if you ask me, and better odds than the lottery.
                The test of these questions is if anybody can get it wrong (such as the ITV4 quiz call type rubbish that's on late at night).

If they accept an answer that's wrong and still take you're £25 they should be fine.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

They were on BBC Breakfast a couple of weeks back. I think they had done everything in a legit way, and said they'd turn it into a cash lottery if they didn't raise enough to buy the house.

The bloke seemed quite keen to tell the nation that you "can walk around naked if you want". His wife seemed a bit embaressed.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    They were on BBC Breakfast a couple of weeks back. I think they had done everything in a legit way, and said they'd turn it into a cash lottery if they didn't raise enough to buy the house.

The bloke seemed quite keen to tell the nation that you "can walk around naked if you want". His wife seemed a bit embaressed.
                    Damn, I've just looked on Google maps satellite and I can't see any nudes. I demand compensation.

Comment

Working...
                    X