• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All about house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All about house prices

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ng.houseprices

How can it be that Notting Hill, a part of London that 50 years ago was a sewage-sodden, low-rent slum, can now contain a top-floor flat bought 40 years ago for £12,000 and now on the market for £800,000? "It really wasn't an investment," protests its owner, Joy, a recently retired primary-school teacher who understandably does not want her surname widely known. "I was just buying a place to live. In a pretty daggy part of London, too."

How, also, has a motormouth Mancunian former joke writer called Mike Shirley been able to parlay his £6,000 purchase of a two-up, two-down terraced house in 1997 into a buy-to-let portfolio worth £7m? And what, at the other end of the scale, has happened in this country that first-time buyers, to obtain a competitively priced mortgage, need a deposit equivalent to two years' take-home, while locals in Cornish fishing villages must confront an average house price of roughly 11 times their earnings?

The change has been so massive, so far-reaching, and so rapid that it is easy to forget what things were once like. Less than a century ago, only 10% of Britons owned their own homes. Even 30 years ago, half of us were still renting. Now more than 70% of us are homeowners. And most of that 70% have become an awful lot richer, at least on paper: in October 2007, the average house price in Britain was £218,000, more than three times the 1995 level, four times the 1988 level, and roughly 50 times the 1970 level.

According to the housing charity Shelter, in just three decades, from 1971 to 2002, combined housing wealth in Britain spiralled from £44bn to a barely imaginable £2.5tn - that's double the level of pension and life-assurance savings put together. So much money have we made from this unprecedented boom that we've started buying homes not just for ourselves, but for others, too: hundreds of thousands of us are now landlords, holding a total of 1.1m buy-to-let mortgages and ploughing £126bn into investment property since 1997.

Can't wait till the next boom!

The change has been so massive, so far-reaching, and so rapid that it is easy to forget what things were once like. Less than a century ago, only 10% of Britons owned their own homes. Even 30 years ago, half of us were still renting. Now more than 70% of us are homeowners. And most of that 70% have become an awful lot richer, at least on paper

and it's such a drag owning more than one property

I feel nothing but sympathy for the little people affected by this
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Price of house back then should be inflation adjusted (did not look that way). Still it is overpriced.

Comment

People have so much to be grateful to Maggie Thatcher for. Perhaps they will realise one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          People have so much to be grateful to Maggie Thatcher for. Perhaps they will realise one day.
          Like selling off the public housing stock which has precipitated a part of the current iffy credit burdon of the country, selling off publically owned companies which have made massive profits for Thatchers cronies and put our essential utilities out of British ownership, made the Health Service into a "free market" with a huge executive and turned the railways into an even bigger farce than they were as British rail with fat exec payoffs.

Oh add to that we no longer have a Coal Mining industry despite the fact we're sat on massive energy reserves or any Manufacturing business to speak of so the country is almost entirely reliant on service industries that are reliant on the distinctly flaky international Banking business.

Yup Thatcher really turned the UK into a fabulously vibrant country fit to survive any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Yup Thatcher really turned the UK into a fabulously vibrant country fit to survive any problems.
            Thatcher has been out for a long time - might as well start blaming Churchill.

The responsibility for the last 10 years (and next 10) is solely on NuLiebour shoulders

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Oh add to that we no longer have a Coal Mining industry despite the fact we're sat on massive energy reserves
              According to this Coal Authority report Britain has 222 million tonnes of coal reserves (3.7 tonnes for each person in the UK) and a potential for another 380 millions tonnes (another 6.3 tonnes each). Hardly massive.

We currently consume about 59 million tonnes of coal a year, of which 30 million tonnes a year is mined sustainably so that it 'can provide many years of future production at present levels'. They speak about 2050.

I knew what we had left was little (I've seen similar figures from another source) but I'm still staggered at how little coal we have left. In addition to that we may have 7 billion tonnes (116 tonnes each) in old or deep mines that might be retrieved using advanced gasification techniques, but that's more speculative and not really coal. Not sure about oil. It's true that more coal and oil could and likely will be found in the UK, but the days of massive energy reserves are probably over for us.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                According to this Coal Authority report Britain has 222 million tonnes of coal reserves (3.7 tonnes for each person in the UK) and a potential for another 380 millions tonnes (another 6.3 tonnes each). Hardly massive.
                From your own links: "3. The strategic importance of coal is further underlined by the fact that there are over 200 years of established coal reserves at present production rates compared with only 50 or so years for oil and gas."

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  From your own links: "3. The strategic importance of coal is further underlined by the fact that there are over 200 years of established coal reserves at present production rates compared with only 50 or so years for oil and gas."
                  Yeah, that must include gasification and they qualify that by saying 'at present production rates', which are quite low. I don't know much about gasification but I gather it's quite tricky. I imagine we could keep scraping away indefinitely, but even so there doesn't appear to be much left from a once massive reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Yeah, that must include gasification and they qualify that by saying 'at present production rates', which are quite low. I don't know much about gasification but I gather it's quite tricky. I imagine we could keep scraping away indefinitely, but even so there doesn't appear to be much left from a once massive reserve.
                    I could not be arsed to look for info but I think the paper wrongly estimated coal reserves being at 220 mln tons - this sounds way too low.

Comment

Working...
                    X