• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Virtual Server - Network Setup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Virtual Server - Network Setup

All

I have MS Virtual Server on my Vista PC running XP. I have a network successfuly installed when I am attached to a Router with DHCP capability. When I am on client site I use a VF USB Dongle and obviously have no LAN cable connectivity.

Does anyone know how I can get my Virtual Server connected so I can transfer data between my lappy and the copy of XP?

Thanks.

Under the assumption that the host Vista behaves has a 2003 Server host you can start the XP VM by:

Using the hosts HTTP server
    Using RDP to log in to the host and start the VM from there.
    Use the MS Virtual Server Client application to start the VM

Once booted the most sensible way to connect and transfer files is to use RDP between the XP VM and the remote machine. The remote drive (i.e. on a laptop) can be configured to be seen within the XP VM. The XP VM must have a local unique IP for your LAN (i.e. the Vista host bridges ethernet traffic). Use port forwarding on TCP 3389.

RDP offers encryption, however you could construct a VPN.

Comment

Thanks noddy, RDP...brill. I'll get Big Ears to try that tomorrow.

Comment

I should add, that if you run RDP on both the host and the guest, it is possible to construct most routers to port forward like this:

gatewayhost:3389 > vistahost:3389
        gatewayhost:3390 > xpguest:3389

This allows both guest and host to be connected concurrently from the remote laptop.

Comment

Working...
        X