• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Germany & I need 1000 euro. How?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Germany & I need 1000 euro. How?

I'm working in Germany at the moment and have decided to rent a flat, which I don't normally do when working away from home, but it seems to make sense this time. I'm hoping to move in on Thursday but I need 1000 euro for the deposit and first month's rent. Thought it would be easy enough to transfer the cash from my UK bank account to the landlord's account, but the bank wants the request in writing and through the post. They won't accept email or fax.

Next option would be to just take it out of a cashpoint, as it's not a huge amount, but there's a daily withdrawal limit which won't add up to enough before Thursday.

Next possibility would be to go to a bureau de change and pay with my debit card, but everything I've read about that method seems to be negative, what with the huge charges.

So, just wondering what other people might recommend in this situation? I could always put off moving in till next week I suppose, but would be a lot more convenient to do it before the weekend. Any useful tips?

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I'm working in Germany at the moment and have decided to rent a flat, which I don't normally do when working away from home, but it seems to make sense this time. I'm hoping to move in on Thursday but I need 1000 euro for the deposit and first month's rent. Thought it would be easy enough to transfer the cash from my UK bank account to the landlord's account, but the bank wants the request in writing and through the post. They won't accept email or fax.

Next option would be to just take it out of a cashpoint, as it's not a huge amount, but there's a daily withdrawal limit which won't add up to enough before Thursday.

Next possibility would be to go to a bureau de change and pay with my debit card, but everything I've read about that method seems to be negative, what with the huge charges.

So, just wondering what other people might recommend in this situation? I could always put off moving in till next week I suppose, but would be a lot more convenient to do it before the weekend. Any useful tips?
    Use card in bank instead of cashpoint. Your daily limit should not apply to a counter transaction (but it might).

You might not like the commission and rates though.

Comment

Pretty crap if you can't take out 1000 Euros between now and Thursday. That's 3 days ffs!!
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Good to see the old Contractor traits of resourcefulness, planning and decision-making shining through.

Comment

The 1980s called, they want their banking system back...

On a more serious note, are you sure you can's simply do a transfer using the IBAN of the receiving account? Foreign (especially within the EEC) bank transfers aren't complicated at all.
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Good to see the old Contractor traits of resourcefulness, planning and decision-making shining through.
            Yeah, well, I don't normally bother with renting rooms and that, so it's never been an issue. Just get petty cash out as I go along.

Daily limit is 250 quid a day, which will be a few euros short. Never had any need to up it before, so it never occurred to me that it might be an issue.

Can you just walk into a German bank with your UK debit card and ask for cash then? Never tried that.

Comment

Can you just walk into a German bank with your UK debit card and ask for cash then? .
              Yes, stick a pair of tights on your head and put a banana in your coat pocket first though.

Comment

can't you do it through internet banking?
                I know I can with HSBC as long as I have the IBAN
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yeah, well, I don't normally bother with renting rooms and that, so it's never been an issue. Just get petty cash out as I go along.

Daily limit is 250 quid a day, which will be a few euros short. Never had any need to up it before, so it never occurred to me that it might be an issue.

Can you just walk into a German bank with your UK debit card and ask for cash then? Never tried that.
                  FFS, why not just pay the commission on this bit?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Yes, stick a pair of tights on your head and put a banana in your coat pocket first though.
                    Where's Max Mosley when you need him?
                    B00med!

Comment

Working...
                    X