• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycle2Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle2Work

Exciting email from our HR department:

The waiting is over, Cycle2Work is available today, and we hope that you will soon be reaping the benefits. Take part in this scheme and you could save between 31% and 41% off the cost of a brand new bike depending on whether you are a basic-rate taxpayer or a higher-rate taxpayer!

So what is Cycle2Work all about?

The ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme is a government tax exemption, which allows us to loan adult cycles and cyclists' safety equipment to employees as a tax-free benefit.

Thanks to this tax exemption, you have the chance to select a brand new bike and safety equipment from the UK’s widest selection at Halfords. You pay for this out of pre-tax wage or salary, which means you save on tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs). You could save between 31% and 41% off the cost of a brand new bike depending on your tax status, and on top of this you will get a VAT saving that the company is passing on to you!

Whether you fancy a full suspension mountain bike, road bike, hybrid or even folding commuter model, you could soon have the use of a bike for both getting to work and in your leisure time; saving your waistline, saving money and helping to save the planet.

You spread the cost of using the equipment by paying in interest free instalments from your pre-tax pay over 12 months. Although you will have full use of the bicycle, @@@@@@ will own it for the duration of the scheme.

Even if you have a preferred brand that Halfords don’t ordinarily stock, you can call the Halfords Cycle2Work team on 08700 660 511 or 08450 778 850, who will, subject to availability, source it for you under the terms of the Cycle to Work arrangement.
    I can barely contain my excitement.

So I asked the HR department if they would be providing secure storage facilities for us to park our bikes when we arrive at work, and a shower for us to use after our long and arduous bike ride. Answer to both questions was a resounding "No".

Also, it looks like I'll be buying the bike, but it will be owned by my employer. Hmmmmm.

Won't be taking part in that scheme then.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Exciting email from our HR department:

I can barely contain my excitement.

So I asked the HR department if they would be providing secure storage facilities for us to park our bikes when we arrive at work, and a shower for us to use after our long and arduous bike ride. Answer to both questions was a resounding "No".

Also, it looks like I'll be buying the bike, but it will be owned by my employer. Hmmmmm.

Won't be taking part in that scheme then.
    Initial idea has a good aspect, but:
    Plan only half thought-through.
    Implementation flawed.
    No thought of whether people want it in its current form.
    No analysis of whether the likely takeup in current form will achieve the real aim.
    No provision for learning as we go, or responding to user needs.

Has NL written all over it.

Comment

Get a car, or move to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
        Get a car, or move to China.
        WHS. I would go for a small automatic but not a hyundai

HTH.

Comment

Working...
        X