• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spore

the new game from the maker of Civilisation and Sims

http://eu.spore.com/home.cfm?lang=en

looks pretty good i think
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Wired had a good review. Looks like the control system is a PITA for some parts and there's some bad juju DRM (only install 3 times!!!).

Don't think I'll bother.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      the new game from the maker of Civilisation and Sims

http://eu.spore.com/home.cfm?lang=en

looks pretty good i think
      Has some horrible DRM nasties in it as well though.

Nice summary here

Be prepared for 'issues' should you wish to re-intall it on a new PC or if you substancially change the configuration of the original one. There have been some reports of it causing wider problems with the PC itself as well.
      Last edited by DaveB; 10 September 2008, 11:48.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Wired had a good review. Looks like the control system is a PITA for some parts and there's some bad juju DRM (only install 3 times!!!).

Don't think I'll bother.
        ok, i must have missed that geekspeak class at school..

what's PITA?
        what's bad juju DRM?

Comment

what's PITA?
          what's bad juju DRM?
          PITA = pain in the ass
          DRM = Digital rights management

HTH
          TTFN
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

ahh right.. cheers

Comment

what's PITA?
              what's bad juju DRM?
              Pain In The Arse

Digital Rights Management - The attempts by the producers to stop people pirating it. General consensus is that the serious pirates wont break a sweat defeating it and that Joe Average gamer will find it an immense PITA.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It looks fantastic to me.
                However my lappy can just about handle Civ 3 so I think Spore might be a bit too much. Is it going to be launched on a console?
                Bored.

Comment

PITA = Pain In The A$$

DRM = Digital Rights Management = Piracy protection.

The DRM that EA games use is a horrible bit of kit that installs a device driver and software that's nasty to remove.

Spore has DRM applied that limits the game to 3 installs (changing a Vid or sound card in your PC will use an install up) which is frankly scandalous and to get more you have to call the States and explain why you need to install it again.

The game may be great, but the anti piracy technique that EA are pursuing means I wouldn't ever buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    It looks fantastic to me.
                    However my lappy can just about handle Civ 3 so I think Spore might be a bit too much. Is it going to be launched on a console?
                    Sim City 4 is a good one for laptops. Old enough to run very nicely on a decent laptop
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X