• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Work or Luck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Work or Luck

Form the Harriet Harpy thread. Do you think it's luck or hard work that makes you sucessful?

I reckon I was lucky to be born with a modicum of brains and talent - but I have put myself out and done stuff that (for example) my considerably brainier best mate wouldn't dream of doing - hence I earn more than him.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 10 September 2008, 21:33.

It's genetics and upbringing.

It could be argued that lazy people are lazy because they have a genetic predisposition to be lazy and so technically it is not their fault.

How much free will do you think you actually have? And would you have knocked the vase if I hadn't of said anything?

Comment

I think in general the harder you work the less you get paid.

Comment

work hard and work smarter... there might be a touch of luck but i do believe that people make their own luck when it comes to job hunting. Some people have a talent for being able to spot potential oportunies and follow them up. Might not always be successful but by spotting more oportunities the chance of getting a success is a lot greater
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post

It could be argued that lazy people are lazy because they have a genetic predisposition to be lazy and so technically it is not their fault.

How much free will do you think you actually have? And would you have knocked the vase if I hadn't of[sic] said anything?
          Not sure what you mean about the vase. I can be lazy but it oddly doesn't seem to have harmed my career and that could mean I'm lucky.

I don't think I have too much free will, but I intend to make the most of the tiny bit I have.

Comment

Please define "hard work".

"Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
            Confucius
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              "Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
              Confucius
              But that doesn't help reduce the class divide
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Not sure what you mean about the vase.
                It's from 'the matrix', fate versus free will is discussed briefly.

Comment

Below is a list of professions roughly in salary order. The order seems to correspond (inversely) with how hard they are and also inversely with how well they are paid.

If all jobs paid the same, in which order would you choose these jobs if you had to do them yourself?

Slave
                  Toilet cleaner
                  Kitchen porter
                  Street cleaner
                  Caring for the elderly
                  Nurse
                  Teacher
                  IT worker
                  Airline pilot
                  Doctor
                  Chief executive
                  Politician
                  King

For some reason workers who work the hardest in the worst conditions in the most unfullfilling jobs are paid the least. Good innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I can be lazy but it oddly doesn't seem to have harmed my career and that could mean I'm lucky.
                    I can be lazy too, especially when I have a computer sitting in front of me which can do repetitive work for me.

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                    I'd add education there, as it's not necessarily part of your upbringing.

But what about the ability to sell yourself? Where does that fit into the original question?
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X