• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

9 to 5.30

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 to 5.30

Is it just me or are clients all going back to the dark ages?

10 years ago I used to work 7.30 to 4 on just about every gig - now just about every client stipulates 9 to 5.30. Perhaps 8 to 4.30 at a push.

I mean WTF? 21st century and we're locked into mill-owner mentality, no wonder rush hours are so bad.

Permie jobs are worse (as you'd expect). Apparently the govt has made it a legal requirement to request flexible working for parents. Yes that's right - request it. And the employers have a right to decline it. Classic NL, looks like they're addressing a problem but scratch beneath the surface and they're doing fook all.

What ever happened to the tele-commuting revolution that was supposed to happen 15 years ago?

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post

What ever happened to the tele-commuting revolution that was supposed to happen 15 years ago?

"The Man" realised he can't control you when you're at home in your jim-jams posting on CUK when you should be "tele-working".
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No issues for me (yet)

7:30-4 except on Fridays where I never get past 2
      Gronda Gronda

Comment

Last 2 contracts have been 9 to 5.30 and 9 to 5 (only 30 mins for lunch tho').

Before that I did 10 til 6 and even 7 til 7 (days and nights), so I'm quite happy going to 9 to 5.

Would be nice to finish at 4 tho'.

Comment

i spread 80 hrs over 8.5 days, arriving and leaving when i like then fly home thursday afternoon for a long weekend every 2 weeks.. works great for me
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            "The Man" realised he can't control you when you're at home in your jim-jams posting on CUK when you should be "tele-working".
            It's more to do with bums on seats management.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

In my last 4 years as a contractor on 3 different gigs I've never had a problem with "flexible" hours and the occasional work from home. Fridays - never beyond 3pm (if I'm in)

You're in the wrong job mate.
              Blood in your poo

Comment

No stipulated hours in my contract, or days come to that. I often work from home and arrive/leave at strange hours to show I'm not a permie.

As long as the job gets done...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

8-4, with a 1 hour lunchbreak - Sweeet!
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Roughly 8 to 4:30 +/- 0:30 depending on the day.

Unfortunately, those times are EST.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X