• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woodchip – scourge of the modern day….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodchip – scourge of the modern day….

Picking up the keys this afternoon (office think I am on a site visit…..)

Plan was just to paint the walls, glow the skirtings and get the carpets down.

On closer inspection, I have woodchip.

Looking like the plaster below may not be in the best condition.

1. Any woodchip removal ideas? Got a steamer, tub of fairy, one of those scrapers with a razor blade on, sponge and craft knife for soaking. Anything else I can do?
    2. If the walls are not great, could I paint initially to get the place liveable with, then put lining paper onto a painted wall at a later date? Ie, will lining paper stick ok onto a painted surface?

Going to be a busy weekend…….

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Picking up the keys this afternoon (office think I am on a site visit…..)

Plan was just to paint the walls, glow the skirtings and get the carpets down.

On closer inspection, I have woodchip.

Looking like the plaster below may not be in the best condition.

1. Any woodchip removal ideas? Got a steamer, tub of fairy, one of those scrapers with a razor blade on, sponge and craft knife for soaking. Anything else I can do?
    2. If the walls are not great, could I paint initially to get the place liveable with, then put lining paper onto a painted wall at a later date? Ie, will lining paper stick ok onto a painted surface?

Going to be a busy weekend…….

WTF is "glow the skirtings"?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Just skim the wood-chip (you can buy some ready-mix from a DIY superstore) and repaint.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

<< canned laughter >>

Comment

had this problem in my present place. Wood chip on all ceilings. The best process I found was:

fill up steamer, switch on, shut door of room (with you outside)wait 45minutes to an hour, enter sauna and attack area with a good scrapper. Use steamer for stubborn bits.

Once the majority of it is off sponge down with wet sponge, rescrape walls ensuring all paste/woodchip is off.

Takes forever but extremely satisfying once done

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
            fill up steamer, switch on, shut door of room (with you outside)wait 45minutes to an hour, enter sauna and attack area with a good scrapper. Use steamer for stubborn bits.
            Yeah, a good scrapper will do the job I reckon!!!
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Just buy some rolls of textured vinyl or a thick anaglypta, and paper over it.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Seal the house and wait for woodchip to come back in fashion

then sell at a profit
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Seal the house and wait for woodchip to come back in fashion

then sell at a profit
                  To borrow from the great teachings of Adams the wise...

"Have you seen the world outside this house? It's a wasteland, a desert. Civilization's been and gone, man. Woodchip isn't made anywhere!"

"The statistical likelihood is that other civilizations will arise. It will one day be fashionable to have woodchip wallpaper. Till then there will be a short delay.

Please return to your seat."
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Few sheets of wet & dry, bish bash bosh, smoooove

Comment

Working...
                    X