• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was Peterborough bombed during the war?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Peterborough bombed during the war?

I pass it every day on the train and had the pleasure of working in the City a few months back and it occured to me that they have a big old Cathedral in the centre of town, but nothing else is old. The whole place is made of concrete and quite frankly is a craphole.

There can't just have been a big cathedral in the middle of knowhere?
    What happened to all the old buildings?

no idea but there is a tour you can go on to find out if you want..

here
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
      I pass it every day on the train and had the pleasure of working in the City a few months back and it occured to me that they have a big old Cathedral in the centre of town, but nothing else is old. The whole place is made of concrete and quite frankly is a craphole.

Many of the old buildings were knocked down to build the Queensgate shopping centre and car parks

Comment

Many old towns and cities were not bombed in WW2 but were demolished in the 50s. A step backwards.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Many old towns and cities were not bombed in WW2 but were demolished in the 50s. A step backwards.
          The impact of the Luftwaffe was limited compared to what we have done to ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
            mussies tried to burn the Cathedral down in 2001
            HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I used to take a bus from the centre to where I was working on the outskirts. It ventured through endless newtown estates with their maze of cycle paths and wierd traffic calming measures. It really did look like a depressing place to live.

And whats with calling every place west of the Centre, Orton this and Orton that. There must be a dozen different Ortons, none of them very nice.
              All very confusing, especially as they all look similar.

Comment

Oh and I can't beleive ther sacraficed all the old buildings for the Queensgate.
                Hardly worth it when you look at it now.

Comment

I lived and worked there for a couple of years in the 90s it wasn't that bad. Funnilly enough I was having the exact same conversation (did it get bombed) about Croydon last night. Now that is a tuliphole.

Comment

There was nothing to bomb. The locals are too backward to develop the skills needed to build anything more than rough shacks.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X