• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acer Aspire 101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 101

These dinky little laptops...

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6391.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-2380.aspx

Look good, but what is the difference between Linux & Windows ?
    Is it just the cost of the OS ?
    Surely the files are interchangable?

Also as they don't have an optical drive, how do you install software on them ? Could i just connect it to my other laptop and use that as adrive?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Erm...

Many differences. Here are just a few.

Comment

Do you mean differences technically or functionally? Or both? I'm not a Linux guru - some of the others will shed more light here - but the way applications are installed is fundamentally different. The GUI is different. Some Linux distros will emulate Windows in some way (like having a start menu, task manager etc)...

If you're used to Windows and want to stay that way then stick to it.

If you want to learn more about Linux and have a play on a baby laptop, like I'm doing on my Eee, then now's your chance.

The price difference is most certainly for the Windows licence.

Comment

Thanks, it was mainly about the movement of files between the 2.
        I'd be using Office at work and would want to transfer and edit files on my mini-lap-top, then transfer them back to Office.

Hows the Eee going ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          Thanks, it was mainly about the movement of files between the 2.
          I'd be using Office at work and would want to transfer and edit files on my mini-lap-top, then transfer them back to Office.

Hows the Eee going ?
          For files generally (Depending on the Linux distribution) I think you need to have a NTFS partition, or install ntfs-3g
          sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfs-config
          The Eee is alright - would probably have bought the 901 instead of the 701 in hindsight, bigger screen, more storage etc. I'm fine with opening/editing office documents from Windows using Openoffice (pre-installed) and saving as a Microsoft native file. There are some differences in formatting and Spreadsheet vs Excel in terms of capability.

For the most part though, I use the Eee to surf and experiment with Linux. Soon, I will be wiping the slate clean and installing the Debian Eee distro. It's fun (for me). Downsides? Well, the 701 has a short battery life (think the 901 is twice the capacity), and the keyboard is almost too small (but usable). Don't like the fiddly little clicker for the trackpad. Otherwise it's all I need for the above uses.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            For files generally (Depending on the Linux distribution) I think you need to have a NTFS partition, or install ntfs-3g
            Well, no. You can transfer a file between machines without regard to the file system on each machine (OP said transfer and edit, transfer back). Like, on your office Win system, copy or save to USB drive. On linux system copy or read from USB drive. Reverse to go other way..... The USB drive does not care what file system format is used on each machine's internal drive.

Otherwise, roughly speaking, Windows uses FAT or NTFS, linux uses unix, but you don't need to know that. The only question about NTFS comes up if you want your linux system to read directly a file from a NTFS drive. This is typically when you are booting your Windows PC with a linux live CD, and want the resulting linux OS to read the Win data. Nothing to do with using an EEE or an Aspire linux notebook.

Note: at a data level, take care to save files in compatible formats (that is, like MS Word format or whatever, nothing to do with partitions). Normally that means MS format since linux open office etc will read MS Office files but not vice versa.

Comment

what I was saying was that if I save a file an MS Office File onto a USB Drive from my Windows desktop, then read and edit using my Linux Laptop, and then subsequently load back onto my Windows desktop - what are the compatibility issues?

It's bad enough at the moment using Office 2003 & Office 2007 and remebering to save in the correct formet - what other problems might I encounter [ loss of functionality / macros etc ] when moving between Office & Linux

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                at a data level, take care to save files in compatible formats (that is, like MS Word format or whatever, nothing to do with partitions). Normally that means MS format since linux open office etc will read MS Office files but not vice versa.
                Thanks expat. Bluebird - you will be able to view/edit/save to MS format. As for the specific differences in formatting/macros I wouldn't be able to list them, sorry.

Foogle "Openoffice +Microsoft +compatibility +issues" or similar.

Comment

My EEE PC* has Star Office 8 as standard and I'm veryy happy with it.

You can read and save files in the M$ .doc format or the standard open office format.

It works fine in either format (although a little functionality might be lost, I've never noticed...)

*Writing from my EEE at Bristol Parkway trainstation as we speak...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    *Writing from my EEE at Bristol Parkway trainstation as we speak...
                    ooh, you must be nearby - I'm working for a large FS Company

Comment

Working...
                    X