• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent advice

I've been in a rented house now for 6 months on a fixed term contract. We want to stay for another 12 months fixed term (rent cannot go up on a fixed term contarct) and put this to the agent.

She came back and said the landlord was happy for have another 12 months fixed term contaract but wants the option to review the rent after 6 months.

This has annoyed me as the whole point of having a 12 month fixed contract is so we have a steady rent and peace of mind for 12 months and he's got a gauranteed rent for 12 months.

Any suggestions on how to play this? We dont want to move for 12 months

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    I've been in a rented house now for 6 months on a fixed term contract. We want to stay for another 12 months fixed term (rent cannot go up on a fixed term contarct) and put this to the agent.

She came back and said the landlord was happy for have another 12 months fixed term contaract but wants the option to review the rent after 6 months.

This has annoyed me as the whole point of having a 12 month fixed contract is so we have a steady rent and peace of mind for 12 months and he's got a gauranteed rent for 12 months.

Any suggestions on how to play this? We dont want to move for 12 months
    I would say that if the landlord wants to review the rent after the 6 months then what you have is a 6 month contract and not a 12 month contract. Then the landlord is faced with finding a new tenant after 6 months and not 12 months. Any other reasoning and you are caving in to their demands and the landlord might just as well say that they'll charge whatever rent they like as long as they give you notice (usually 1 month).
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

if they have to put a review clause in then ask them to agree to an inflation based rise after 6 months?

Comment

Depends how hard ball you want to play it. Tell them you'll sign for a 12 month fixed or you'll walk.

In my position, it's cheaper to have someone sit in a flat for 12 months at the same rate compared to a new tenant after 6 months with a slight rate increase.

Most agents get a fee for every new placement, normally a months rent then charge a percentage after that for management fees if they’re managing the property. The more properties a landlord has with an agent, the more negotiable the figures become.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

find another place close by which offers the fixed 12 months contract with the same amount of rent, and be prepared to walk from existing landlord
          if he does not agree with your 12month terms.

if you stay and accept his/her terms you may have leave in 6months time
          or pay extra rent, so it might be better to take the pain now rather than later.

Comment

You can get a 12 month anywhere. An assured shorthold tenancy only needs to be a minimum of 6 months but can be for longer than that period. I'm unsure as to if there is a maximum period and does it convert to an assured tenacy at that point. I will google.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

surely either play hard ball and say 12 months fixed or you'll walk

OR

sign for a 6 month contract, signing for a 12 month but a rate review after 6 could prove very costly unless you have a get out clause
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I'm pretty sure after a 6 month fixed it automatically turns to a periodic tennacy. which is 1 months notice for us and 2 months for the landlord.

How about if I agree to the review but say it must be capped at 2.5%. That might work.

Comment

But surely then you are giving the landlord carte blanche to raise your rent 2.5% after 6 months for no reason?
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                  X