• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.net

hmm...
    .NET
    I'm alright Jack

I work in the other end of IT so don't profess to know much about these things, but this line kind of enlightened me:

If a customer of mine insisted that they didn't want open source - more fool them
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

"What I'd really prefer to see is RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux), JBoss, and MySQL"

I hope he's joking.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Is this just anti-MS guff?

Sorry, Microsoft, .NET Framework is simply incapable of performing this kind of work
        I assumed he was going to say that some extremely optimized C++ was required to wring every last cycle out, which is reasonable. But then he goes on to say Java should be used. Java & .NET are comparable in terms of performance.

I don't know about the DB thing, but is SQLServer actually a lot slower than those other DBs? DB2 I'd believe and maybe Informix. But Oracle? and MySQL?!

Come on, get serious. I can accept that for a huge distributed system, Windows maybe doesn't scale so well but I see no problems with .NET or SQLServer.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Oh, I read the comments... seems he's not getting a lot of respect...

Comment

I've built things with MySQL a few times, and it works great, but I thought it was a thing for dinky databases not for anything on the scale of the LSE. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I've built things with MySQL a few times, and it works great, but I thought it was a thing for dinky databases not for anything on the scale of the LSE. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
              Sounds about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Oh, I read the comments... seems he's not getting a lot of respect...
                The guys a joke! Use MySql.

http://www.tpc.org/tpce/default.asp

The TPC-E benchmark simulates the OLTP workload of a brokerage firm. The focus of the benchmark is the central database that executes transactions related to the firm’s customer accounts. Although the underlying business model of TPC-E is a brokerage firm, the database schema, data population, transactions, and implementation rules have been designed to be broadly representative of modern OLTP systems.
                http://www.tpc.org/tpce/tpce_perf_results.asp

All MS SQL Server on 64 bit Windows.

Comment

Well its give all the crap writers in the world hope. You can earn an income writing pure tripe!
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

You can use MySQL for "proper" projects, but I don't know about something this big. Apparently eBay use it, they were looking recently to outsource development of some customizations to improve performance for their needs. I was tempted. as it would be a god thing to mention you'd done, but I don't know how DBs actually work internally!

Comment

Working...
                    X