• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal debt in UK exceeds debt of Africa and S America combined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal debt in UK exceeds debt of Africa and S America combined

We passed this milestone a year ago, but I just read this from the BBC which puts it in context.
    The amount of money Britons owe on credit cards, loans and mortgages has topped 1,000 billion pounds - £1 trillion.

This is equivalent to £17,000 of debt for every man, woman and child.

A trillion pound debt exceeds the whole external debt of Africa and South America combined.
    What is worrying is that personal debt is rising exponentially, but without the counter of inflation to keep it under control in real terms.

So where will this lead us?

(And how about cancelling the debts of UK consumers, Bono?)

However, as The Economist pointed out this £1,000,000,000,000 of debt is secured against £3,000,000,000,000 of assets so it's not a problem in its own right, macro-economically speaking. Although it might be bad for Mr & Mrs Scum when they can't pay back their £25k Ocean Finance loan, the country is unaffected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      However, as The Economist pointed out this £1,000,000,000,000 of debt is secured against £3,000,000,000,000 of assets so it's not a problem in its own right, macro-economically speaking.
      Yep I'd agree with this - I have in excess of £1.3m debt - but this is secured against £3.2m of assets - not a problem!

£1,000,000,000,000 is banded around, but it will grow - it always does....
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

flippin' 'ell mate you're doing well

Milan.

Comment

Milan:

debt != financial instability

You should have done that basic course in finance.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

franko put your fecking specs on

what the feck have I said about debt and financial instability ?

Milan.

Comment

Oi Milan. Does it really matter if you have .NET in your pocket?

Take as much debt as you want as you might be a millionaire.

However, from a good knower of cars, and just to steer the subject, what do you think of the BMW series 1?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

prefer my s-type - bit more class.........
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

well, I have to admit, in the beginning I didn't like the BMW 1.

but...

although one of those would never be on my shopping list, I think
                  it makes a great alternative for the status concious to that box of
                  nonsense the A class.

Milan.

Comment

gooner,

two things,

a, s type does not have class

b, anybody who uses the would class in this context does not
                    have good taste

Jags in general, no thanks - the charriot of choice for pub landlords
                    across the country, says it all really

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X