• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chunnel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chunnel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7611622.stm

The source of the blaze has not yet been identified but French officials confirmed a UK-bound lorry, which is understood to have overturned on the shuttle train, was carrying the chemical phenol, a toxic product used by the pharmaceutical industry.
    How does that happen then? You can understand it overturning whilst loading, but how does that happen in transit?

Must be a complete nightmare for the people stuck in France.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

How does that happen then? You can understand it overturning whilst loading, but how does that happen in transit?

lorry-load of phenol? Think I'll give it a miss for a while.

Comment

Shouldn't take toxic chemicals on the chuneel. Stick em on the ferries with the sun readers and their £9.99 crossing tokens...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        Shouldn't take toxic chemicals on the chuneel. Stick em on the ferries with the sun readers and their £9.99 crossing tokens...
        I didn't think they allowed even those small gas bottles, so I'm suprised about this. Maybe they'll change the rules.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd just like to say that this time, it isn't my fault. I haven't worked there since 1996...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It didn't (turn over) as with plane crashes (eye witness saw terrified faces at the windows) the reporting is a mixture of stuff made up by journos and stuff made up by the public.
            Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 12 September 2008, 10:31.

Comment

It's worse than that, Jim. We have shed loads of Frogs stuck in the UK all weekend stinking up the place. The ones I used to work with (OK guys actually) used to give up washing earlier in the week getting ready to go home. They’ll be well ripe by tomorrow.
              Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 12 September 2008, 10:34.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I didn't think they allowed even those small gas bottles, so I'm suprised about this. Maybe they'll change the rules.
                They dont, nor do they allow LPG powered vehicles, but thats on the passenger services. I think the rules on the cargo services are different. There was a review of tunnel security/safety after the 2006 fire that supposedly tightened up the regulations.

I suspect in this case there was a human powered cockup since the load was registered as carbolic acid, the old fashioned name for Phenol. If this is the case and the restrited materials list listed Phenol and not carbolic acid then it may have slipped through.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  They dont, nor do they allow LPG powered vehicles, but thats on the passenger services. I think the rules on the cargo services are different. There was a review of tunnel security/safety after the 2006 fire that supposedly tightened up the regulations.

I suspect in this case there was a human powered cockup since the load was registered as carbolic acid, the old fashioned name for Phenol. If this is the case and the restrited materials list listed Phenol and not carbolic acid then it may have slipped through.
                  Ah, keyword searches in the hands of someone who doesn't know what the words mean. Works so well for agents.

Comment

Working...
                  X