• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car dealers are getting desperate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car dealers are getting desperate

I had a letter this morning from my local Honda dealer saying that they have identified my car as one in demand and they would like to talk about a very special deal on a new Honda, 10 weeks ago they said the same car was a sporty model and they would have trouble shifting it hence why they wouldn’t budge even a few hundred quid on the glasses valuation.

The car I wanted (07’ Civic 2.2 CDTI) is still on their forecourt but now 2.5k cheaper than 10 weeks ago…. My circumstances have changed and I no longer drive 120 miles a day so I don’t want it now, nice to see them squirm though.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I had a letter this morning from my local Honda dealer saying that they have identified my car as one in demand and they would like to talk about a very special deal on a new Honda, 10 weeks ago they said the same car was a sporty model and they would have trouble shifting it hence why they wouldn’t budge even a few hundred quid on the glasses valuation.

The car I wanted (07’ Civic 2.2 CDTI) is still on their forecourt but now 2.5k cheaper than 10 weeks ago…. My circumstances have changed and I no longer drive 120 miles a day so I don’t want it now, nice to see them squirm though.
    good news. I would love to upgrade my estate to a people carrier. I hope those will come down in price.

Comment

If you have nothing to trade then you will get some cracking deals at the moment, the dealers have to shift a certain amount of stock so they can maintain their bulk discount from the manufacturers.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Had letter yesterday from Bristol Car Supermarket (where we bought our car from four or five months ago) informing us that after 15 years trading they are closing due to "very poor market conditions".

I managed to shift my Golf after two months of trying for about £1,500 less than the Parker's guide price from that time.

Unemployment escalating, hold on to your hats folks, think we are in for a rough year or three.

Yes, some cracking second hand car deals at the minute though if you are in need...
        Last edited by ferret; 12 September 2008, 12:42. Reason: Addition
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          If you have nothing to trade then you will get some cracking deals at the moment, the dealers have to shift a certain amount of stock so they can maintain their bulk discount from the manufacturers.
          So if I went in December it could be perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            So if I went in December it could be perfect?
            Well they have monthly and quarterly as well as annual targets I believe.

This only applies to new registrations of course so unless you've got a particular desire to chuck huge amounts of cash away for the joy of having your name 1st on a V5 I wouldn't bother.

Loads of cars about with bog all mileage on them for vastly less money.

Comment

The Jag dealer and car supermarket I went to recently both offered 2k less than glasses trade in for my car. I decided not to change as it isn't worth it. Am now being stalked by the man from Jag!

Comment

How much is a decent Chelsea tractor, not a wannabe one but a good second hand established model.

I know eff all about them, so can't mention a brand by name. Would Land Rover would be an example?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  How much is a decent Chelsea tractor, not a wannabe one but a good second hand established model.

I know eff all about them, so can't mention a brand by name. Would Land Rover would be an example?
                  Get yourself a 10 year old 4x4, piss the tree huggers off, intimidate the morons driving Aygos, park it anywhere and not worry about it being scratched etc etc
                  HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Get yourself a 10 year old 4x4, piss the tree huggers off, intimidate the morons driving Aygos, park it anywhere and not worry about it being scratched etc etc
                    HTH
                    And don't forget that the white line down the middle of the road is a guideline for 4x4s, as is most of the highway code.

Comment

Working...
                    X