• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worst Umbrella Company - Prosperity4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Umbrella Company - Prosperity4

Contractors beware of using the above as an umbrella company. Not only will you be disappointed by the service, They have several hidden charges once you are fed up of getting paid less.
    I have lost alot of money due to them so Please Kindly be Aware.

Preaching to the converted mate - we're already Kindly Aware.

Comment

I have never understood the logic of having an umbrella company. Surely it means another link in the chain between yourself and your hard earned cash. Another pig to feed from your trough. Snort snort.
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Less hassle (or what should be less hassle) is main reason people use umbrellas i would think. Be it either guy who will be only contracting for a short while or the one who is terrified of paperwork

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that people using umbrellas preach about how good the contractor lifestyle is!!!

...they have obviously forgotten that they are just permie employees of a really weird company that charges you to work for them. Remind me again why people use umbrellas, I just can't seem to grasp it?

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
            Has anyone else noticed that people using umbrellas preach about how good the contractor lifestyle is!!!

...they have obviously forgotten that they are just permie employees of a really weird company that charges you to work for them. Remind me again why people use umbrellas, I just can't seem to grasp it?
            It's called getting a service that we pay for. I for one can not be arsed completing the paperwork required for running a small business. I am a glorified temp, not a business. This way, the tax man gets his, I get mine and I can sleep soundly knowing that Hector/C&I aren't going to smash down my door in the middle of the night. I charge for software development, not filling forms/paperwork in.

Comment

Oh, I totally sympathise. I must spend almost three hours a year filling in forms and writing cheques...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I reckon my Ltd admin is about 30 mins a month, similar to an umbrella I would think. Both options are a doddle until somebody cocks things up which happened more often when I dabbled with an umbrella.

Comment

Re:Time

Originally posted by rootsnall
                  I reckon my Ltd admin is about 30 mins a month, similar to an umbrella I would think. Both options are a doddle until somebody cocks things up which happened more often when I dabbled with an umbrella.
                  So 6 hours each year to do all company admin including accounts, companies house returns and tax returns?

Comment

Well about three hours in my case, actually - all the boring tedious detail work is what I pay the accountant for. But it's not actually much more than that if you do it all yourself assuming your a typical one-man-band contractor - a lot of people take more time to fill in their SA forms (not that I do those either!).

It's a complete myth that a small Limited Company is a hassle. It only gets complicated if you have employees.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X