• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CVs - an optimal approach...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CVs - an optimal approach...

Like a lot of posters here, I suspect, I consider myself technically adept. I have been contracting since 1996 - principally for one client... where the work was extraordinarily varied, technically challenging and interesting. I am now looking to broaden my horizons and look for work that is not necessarily purely technical in nature... maybe looking to take a more active management role; maybe taking architectural or analytical responsibility... all with a long term view to eventually become CTO, or similar, of a medium-to-large organisation... or, at least, to have an interesting career heading in that direction - or, alternatively, finding me pursuing a senior role at an established consultancy.

I suspect that one of my stumbling blocks is that my CV mainly emphasises my technical abilities - and I am keen to broaden the scope of my appeal. I certainly don't see myself as only capable of performing within a narrow remit, but I get the impression that this is what people infer from a CV listing extensive technical experience. I feel that my hands-on background would be of significant benefit with roles from project management to enterprise-wide technological strategy.

I am considering the possibility of using a professional CV service in order to best equip me to apply for more demanding contract/permanent roles... though there are a bewildering array to chose between... with prices from free, or £35 to £1500 - maybe more! I do not consider myself illiterate, but suspect I could benefit from the wisdom of an HR expert in order to best target myself to interesting opportunities. Have people posting here used such a service - and, if so, would you be willing to say which; roughly how much you paid for what level of service and how happy you were with the outcome?

For myself, I suspect that a brief interview and rapid creation of a CV would be a disaster... even if I was talking to someone who understood the relevance of the technologies with which I've direct experience. I'd be a little more convinced if someone spent a couple of hours interviewing me... having read my existing CV... that way, by dialogue, I could be sure I'd communicated. Has anyone here pursued anything like this?

I just hope your cv is not as long as this question

Comment

I tried to read your post.

Then I (mis)read your username, which made much more sense
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by shic View Post

I am considering the possibility of using a professional CV service in order to best equip me to apply for more demanding contract/permanent roles... though there are a bewildering array to chose between... with prices from free, or £35 to £1500 - maybe more! I do not consider myself illiterate, but suspect I could benefit from the wisdom of an HR expert in order to best target myself to interesting opportunities.

Some may consider you illiterate if you use 'chose' in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          I just hope your cv is not as long as this question
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

OK, I've stopped chuckling now.

First of all read up on how to write killer CVs here

That really gives you all you need to know.

I have to say that if you can't change your CV yourself; you can't communicate your non-technical strengths to non-techies, then you may be in the right job for you now....

I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....

And to answer your original question, No - most people around here do not use the services of a professional CV service.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

(says someone from an HR background long, long ago...)

Comment

Like a lot of posters here, I suspect

Consider using a specific agency to market your CV. Find an agency who has the kind of roles you're looking for and have them review your CV, suggest improvements etc.

Comment

Like a lot of posters here, I suspect, I consider myself technically adept. I have been contracting since 1996 - principally for one client... where the work was extraordinarily varied, technically challenging and interesting. I am now looking to broaden my horizons and look for work that is not necessarily purely technical in nature... maybe looking to take a more active management role; maybe taking architectural or analytical responsibility... all with a long term view to eventually become CTO, or similar, of a medium-to-large organisation... or, at least, to have an interesting career heading in that direction - or, alternatively, finding me pursuing a senior role at an established consultancy.

I suspect that one of my stumbling blocks is that my CV mainly emphasises my technical abilities - and I am keen to broaden the scope of my appeal. I certainly don't see myself as only capable of performing within a narrow remit, but I get the impression that this is what people infer from a CV listing extensive technical experience. I feel that my hands-on background would be of significant benefit with roles from project management to enterprise-wide technological strategy.

I am considering the possibility of using a professional CV service in order to best equip me to apply for more demanding contract/permanent roles... though there are a bewildering array to chose between... with prices from free, or £35 to £1500 - maybe more! I do not consider myself illiterate, but suspect I could benefit from the wisdom of an HR expert in order to best target myself to interesting opportunities. Have people posting here used such a service - and, if so, would you be willing to say which; roughly how much you paid for what level of service and how happy you were with the outcome?

For myself, I suspect that a brief interview and rapid creation of a CV would be a disaster... even if I was talking to someone who understood the relevance of the technologies with which I've direct experience. I'd be a little more convinced if someone spent a couple of hours interviewing me... having read my existing CV... that way, by dialogue, I could be sure I'd communicated. Has anyone here pursued anything like this?
                  Shower every day, ditch the sandals and beard, try not to turn beetroot red if a woman talks to you and you will have made a start.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

This is another reason why its useful to maintain a good network of business contacts.

if you are friendly with any experienced managers or hirers or similar who you have worked with in the past and know your industry, ask them nicely to review your CV and suggest anything which you might need to change. Make sure they know that if its complete crap then they need to say so in no uncertain terms.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X