• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PSO / PRINCE2 courses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSO / PRINCE2 courses?

My girlfriend is looking at retraining as a project support officer - can anyone recommend any PSO / PRINCE2 foundation courses from personal experience?

Most of the courses are described as Foundation and/or Practitioner.. are these standardised qualifications?
    Last edited by Frogstomp; 15 September 2008, 08:35.

Originally posted by Frogstomp View Post
    My girlfriend is looking at retraining as a project support officer - can anyone recommend any PSO / PRINCE2 foundation courses from personal experience?

Most of the courses are described as Foundation and/or Practitioner.. are these standardised qualifications?
    for a PSO the foundation course will be fine. Yes they are standardised.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogstomp View Post

is there a PSO course?? there is Prince2 foundation which is aim at giving an overview to those who work in the framework (managers, support etc...). practitioner is PM and people leading the projects under the frame work.

i'm not sure there is anything tailored for project support, it changes according to companies and there support set up.
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        is there a PSO course?? there is Prince2 foundation which is aim at giving an overview to those who work in the framework (managers, support etc...). practitioner is PM and people leading the projects under the frame work.

i'm not sure there is anything tailored for project support, it changes according to companies and there support set up.
        Foundation course will give a PSO newbie a more informed view of what they are supporting though.

Never seen anything worthwhile for PSO resource with regard to specific courses.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post

where??

I'm not aware of any specific PSO training courses, I doubt they would have value really as each project is different by definition.

Prince2 Foundation will allow the PSO to understand the language and imperatives and give good into how to assist the project team in general terms.
          Don't expect a tremendous amount of job specific training from a 3 day course which is intended to hothouse exam passes.

Sorry I failed to answer one of your questions, I did my Prince2 qualifications via WPA, very mixed bunch of abilities on the course, all passed Foundation and all but one passed Practitioner. Admittedly the trainer we had was really good.
          Last edited by TykeMerc; 15 September 2008, 09:53.

Comment

You can get ISEB qualifications* to start you off - and if 99% of PMO Managers even knew about this they be damned better at it themselves, in my opinion.

And I've always rated gbdirect and QA-IQ as course providers (there are others tho')

*ISEB Certificate in Programme and Project Support Office Essentials (Otherwise known as PPSO)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

..and with Prince2 Foundation you'd get a job in any PMO gig.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

..and don't whinge about how much it costs - get a loan. If you're half way competent you'll be earning much more soon than you're earning now. The course would pay you back withing 18mts - 2 yrs, if not sooner.

(and bone up on ROI while you're at it...)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  You can get ISEB qualifications* to start you off - and if 99% of PMO Managers even knew about this they be damned better at it themselves, in my opinion.

And I've always rated gbdirect and QA-IQ as course providers (there are others tho')

*ISEB Certificate in Programme and Project Support Office Essentials (Otherwise known as PPSO)
                  Looks a decent course that cheers

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.. we'll look into it..

Comment

Working...
                    X