• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

end game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

end game

bearing in mind todays financial news - what's the end game?

is it or just or possibly

whaddya think?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

At the end of the day even if it turns into Mad Max or that film Jubilee, I mean what the hell.

Even if you lose everything you are still alive to breath and read and be merry.

I think society puts too much pressure on people to forgoe their lives for material gain, it makes us sick.

Don't get sick ! just change with the times.

Comment

Scary to think some members of this board have never worked during a recession (10)
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        bearing in mind todays financial news - what's the end game?

is it or just or possibly

whaddya think?
        Last downturn IT people just worked any where they can find a job, some worked for free to keep their skills and CV up to date, it didn't look good if you were unemployed for a long period (basically agents and employer thought it meant you are unployable)

Places I know people worked for includes unis - non profit orgs/charities, volunteer places etc.... some did stay unemployed (with or without a choice) but unfortunately that didn't have good effect on their psyche (anyone remembers Janek? )

All companies took advantage of the downturn and got top talent for peanuts!!

Oh and all FTVs were stopped!! (I think there was an FTV guy on here)

Comment

I remember Janek and his girlfriend that wanted a b*oob job that dumped him once the trouble started and he lost his job.

I think Janek sorted himself out and got himself a job.

One thing is that FTVs didn't stop as I remember and they've got worse in the last few years ... in these banking firms, they are ran awash with FTVs in IT- I think Patricia Hewitt may have had something to do with that I dunno !

Me, I'm going at it 1 month maybe 1.5 months to try and get a contract, if I can't I'm putting IT on the back burner and starting on emergency Plan B !

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
            I remember Janek and his girlfriend that wanted a b*oob job that dumped him once the trouble started and he lost his job.

I think Janek sorted himself out and got himself a job.

One thing is that FTVs didn't stop as I remember and they've got worse in the last few years ... in these banking firms, they are ran awash with FTVs in IT- I think Patricia Hewitt may have had something to do with that I dunno !

Me, I'm going at it 1 month maybe 1.5 months to try and get a contract, if I can't I'm putting IT on the back burner and starting on emergency Plan B !

Yeh we all managed to sort ourselves at the end, only during the downturn and unemployment many feld very low, especially Janek, think he got really depressed, am glad you know he sorted himself at the end.

Re FTVs may be I was wrong, but I didn't mean the ones that companies issued, I meant the visas issued by the immigration skill shortage visas.

Comment

ok, so from past experience, what is the minimum amount in the bank in the rate of months the board think you'd need to survive the upcoming impending doom?
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

When going past the local mcdonals the other day I noticed they were hiring - if all else fails.......

Do you want fries with that?

Comment

dont joke, might just have to do that.

Bench for 2 months now.

Clients are requiring more specific qualifications b4 you can even get an interview these days but how do you guys approach that, do you just simply go and do the courses (could work out expensive) or other???

Years ago the MCSE qual was v important in getting through the door that was until it became nothing more than a paper qualification with every tom, dick n harry having it.

whats your thoughts on some of the qualifications these days and which ones do you have or are looking to complete to beat this lull in recruitment

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                    At the end of the day even if it turns into Mad Max or that film Jubilee, I mean what the hell.

Even if you lose everything you are still alive to breath and read and be merry.

I think society puts too much pressure on people to forgoe their lives for material gain, it makes us sick.

Don't get sick ! just change with the times.
                    Breathe

Comment

Working...
                    X